It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:50 am 
Has anyone heard of the AI flipping?

Silly me read the manual and their are instructions on how to roll it back over

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sailman :
I have a TI and in my experience you would really have to work hard to flip a TI (and likely an AI). The boats are incredibly stable. I have never flipped or turtled but have came close a couple times. The one time a storm came up on me and the winds got up to 35 mph and the waves 4 ft. I had the sail reefed 2/3 in. With the tramps on anytime I came broadside to the wind and waves, the wind would catch under the tramp and and I would have to climb out on the tramp to keep from flipping. As long as I kept my nose into the wind I was ok when I crested over the big waves.
The strain on the boat had to be tremendous, I always have a stretchy nylon line tied from the metal padeye on the left AMA through the front AKA then clipped to the right metal AMA padeye. This prevents the AMA's from collapsing in the event the nylon sheer screws on the AMA's break. I have broken several of those nylon sheer screws in heavy conditions, where if I had not had the safety line, the boat would have surely turtled.
One other thing I have noticed alot of AI/TI sailers do is they open way too much sail in heavier winds (trying to go faster I assume). It is much better (and safer) to furl the sail in so the AMA's do not bury completely under the water. In my experience with the sail furled in some you actually go faster anyway in heavier winds, than you would with the AMA dragging under water.
Another thing I do that seems to help is if I see the AMA going under I turn closer into the wind, and try to avoid sailing a breach (90 deg to the wind) in heavy winds, and also try to avoid jibing (always seems to get me in trouble in heavier winds).
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AI's have been flipped during launching or landing in larger shore-break (over 4 foot). Also if something fails, like the aka brace, so the leeward ama folds in. And finally in strong wind and waves if using Hobie's tramps (acts like a sail coming off a larger wave).

As far as I have heard, that's it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:01 am 
Hi Bob back in 2008-2009 when I had a AI I used to look out for all your tips and customizations that you made on your boat

You are a wealth of knowledge.

I really enjoyed your recap of the rough seas that almost flipped you or lifted up the aka's

If you and I were closer we would be sailing together all the time, your type of excitement is what I also look for when out on the open sea. I am still in search of someone close who I can push the envelope with

So do you still have the older AI? or did you upgrade to a newer model? The reason I ask is that the 2012 AI has so many improvements and fixes on it I was amazed.

Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to more of stories

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sailman wrote:
Can the Adventure Island really flip?

If you think it can't, might I remind you that the Titanic wasn't going to sink either. :)

But in reality, if you're using it in reasonable conditions, unless something goes wrong with the boat, it's not going to flip.

Can it? Absolutely! So be aware of how to right it. But don't lose sleep worrying about it, there are all kinds of people who have used the AI for years, and have never had an incident.

Bravo owners can't say the same thing! :wink: We can flip!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:38 am 
I am actually not afraid of it happening just curious

I fly by one motto on the ocean. "the ocean will get everyone eventually, so be prepared"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sailman wrote:
So do you still have the older AI? or did you upgrade to a newer model? The reason I ask is that the 2012 AI has so many improvements and fixes on it I was amazed.

Thanks for the kind words. I really do enjoy the boats and tinkering with them

I've had up to 4 AI's at one time. Three of the early hulls were replaced by Hobie under warranty as we learned the boats limits, tested some Hobie upgrades and found early weak areas (Mirage well). One original AI was sold last year to make more room for my TI. So presently I have a 2009, 2010 & a 2011 AI. The 2011 has the new large vertical rudder. Great improvement! Almost overkill on an AI (I LIKE IT!)

My 2009 & 2010 AI's are now up for sale so I can upgrade to 2012 or 2013, so all three will have the latest rudder. Most of the rest of the upgrades are nice additions but not anything I would have upgraded for by themselves.

Luckily, older AI's seem to hold their value at about 2/3's retail as long as they are in good shape. Most sell around here for about $2400 plus or minus depending on addons (daggerboard holder, leashes, Sprayskirts!) or problems and excess wear.

We have a great group of Hobie Adventure sailors here on Maui, so there's always someone new looking to join us, who appreciates a less expensive way to get started with their own (not quite the newest) boat. The AI I sold last year is most likely being sold again to another newbie to our group so it's current owner can upgrade again with one of my newer for sale boats to get 2009 -10 improvements. Plus we then may add to our ranks another AI sailor on Maui. A win-win for everyone.

So when are you going to visit Maui to sail with us?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:47 am 
do you know AlhoaDan?

I would love to come out to Hawaii and sail the Hobie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sailman wrote:
do you know AlohaDan?

I would love to come out to Hawaii and sail the Hobie.

Yes, Dan is a friend on the Big Island of Hawaii, where my Hobie Dealer Kelly at P&P Kayaks main store is located. We talk fairly often on the phone. We both are tinkerers. He also grows some coffee over there. Dan and Kelly sailed 2 AI's from The Big Island to Maui and back a few years back, and Kelly sailed a TI both ways this year with some amazing video footage.

Let me know when you'll be on Maui (I'm here most of the time) and I'll do my best to get us out sailing, conditions permitting. :)

Us old timers need to stick together. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Look at this Bob, your YouTube vids got me to come here! Hope alls well. Lol, I'm still tinkering the mods on the my own craft. Now that I have the vast majority of the work done I'm lingering on the Doo dads. I've got a dry suit do my seasons still open. I'm a little euphoric about getting out there again.

Pete