Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi all,

After crossing an A.I. off my Christmas-list (just too heavy and cumbersome to be worth it atm) thoughts turned to an alternative.

I've been investigating the various options for adding small outriggers to my Revo and finally came up with this:

There's more info, comments and feedback here:

http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51480

I've still to take it out on the ocean, but that'll hopefully happen some time next week.

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nicely done. How did you arrive at that particular width for the outriggers?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tom,

The width of the outrigger (bars) was the result of a couple of factors:

1: The bars that were supplied with the floats had just the right offset to make the floats sit at the correct height in the water. So I pretty much went with them as they came. I may chop a little bit more off the outer ends to bring the floats in a little (about 12cm from each end).

2: Since the floats are pretty small, the longer outrigger bar helps with stability and boost the effective buoyancy a bit.

Once I have a few more trips out on the water, I'll get a better idea is I need to do any more mods - I suspect not.

All I have to do is find the time to take it sailing... :-)

Cheers,

Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mingle:

I'm bringing this up thread up again, as I am getting re-interested in adding some type of floats or amas to my Revo13. I'll get dual use from this for sailing, and occasional stand up fishing. Already have the sail kit, but not comfy with tenderness, want to avoid any capsize drama.

I read thru some of your larger Aus thread. Did you ever consider the Spring Creek system? I'm not ready to shell out that money just yet. I might even try building some cedar strip floats, as I have epoxy and cloth left over from a previous strip built kayak. I know I do want something very streamlined and efficient.

One thing I like very much about the Spring Creek system is the ability to pull the floats in close/tight if needed. Is that ever an issue with your Finn system?

Anyone else that has the SC system on their Revo, I would love to hear from them.

Regards to all,
Mark

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What are your floats made from?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom, if you are asking me, I don't have floats yet.
Considering buying the Spring Creek package, if I don't make something from cedar strips instead, similar to the SC floats.

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very good, thanks. I have the Hobie Amas kit which I just bought for sailing use on my Revo13. But I'm not fond of the inflatable floats. I'm thinking of shaping and affixing some type of larger diameter pool noodles (made rigid internally).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The fact that the floats on Hobie's kit can revolve around the outrigger arm disturbs me, although I think I know why they designed it this way - Having a single arm holding a fixed float would create a great deal of torsion or twist on the arm. So with the Hobie kit, if something has to slip or turn, it'll be the float/s.

With a double arm system such torsion from a fixed float on the arms doesn't exist.

I'm going to play with it some and see how well it works.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you'll want a great set of outriggers/amas or whatever you want to call them, Apalach is the man to talk to. I did a search for his plans, but the images have been deleted apparently, so this link is all I have, but it easily gives you the idea:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1548&hilit=Amas

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5273&hilit=Amas

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/search.php?keywords=Amas&terms=all&author=Apalach&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

You can also do a search using amas and/or outriggers as your search words and Apalach as the author and possibly pick up some more info. I thought his outriggers were better than Hobies.

Apalach hasn't posted here that I can find since July 23, 2009, or kayakfishingstuff.com since around that time, too. I don't know if something happened to him, or if he just dropped off the kayaking lists, but he was superior when it came to rigging, water and kayak knowledge.

Ray

Phone: 254-772-3520