Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I thought I would share the rigging I have done to sail my Outfitter. Most of this I learned from these forums, but another point of view is nice.

Outfitter furled with ballast in front. The 7 Gal Water Container give me close to 60 lbs ballast which does a great job of keeping the bow down.

Typical block used to make the main sheet operate smoother and release quicker

This gizmo is made from 1 1/4 PVC pipe with a Harken 16mm Cheek Block attached. It does a great job of running the main sheet through the bungies and around the back seat. Sadly, I had it routed wrong in some of these pictures so you will see the main sheet going over the aft two bungies instead of under. If it is under, the main sheet does not touch anything it shouldn't.

If you plan to sail much at all, I seriously recommend this. It is the Halibu77 sail furl system. It is simple, and works amazing. I used a 1-1/2 ABS tube instead of the standard 1-1/4 PVC. I chose ABS because it was black. The larger size was simply what I got. You can see this video for more info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFWWKI_q2NU

1" hole in the center of each cap

I used a step drill to put the 1" hole in the caps.

The line from the furl system goes to a block, then a Cam Cleat. The is a Ronstan Orbit Block 20 that comes with the line through the hub. I just loop the ling through its self, and it holds fine on the handle. It is easy to remove this way.
The Cam Cleat is a Harken 471 Micro Carbo-Cam with the 475 fairlead and 281 eyestrap. Not sure I needed the fairlead and eyestrap. Seems like the eyestrap alone would work fine in this situation.

Here is how the mainsheet is rigged. It is a Harken 224 Microblock tied to the handle with some cord. There was no reason to use this over the Ronstan, it is just what I had. The Cam Cleat is another 471 with a 297 Wedge and 424G Micro Fairlead.

Sail Deployed

Another shot of some of the hardware:

Cam Cleat for the main sheet:

Cam Cleat for the furl system: