Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2011 Hobie Tandem Island, and the rudder handles are incredibly stiff. How do I fix this?

The handles are stiff because of the handle/kayak interface. I have removed all of the tension from the rudder lines, and the handle is so stiff it feels like I'm going to break it just to get it to rotate.

I have taken the tiller handle off and studied the mechanism from the inside, and I cannot figure out how to relax some of the friction. It seems like after removing the handle and removing the horizontal pin I should hammer the exposed metallic cylinder through to the inside of the boat where I could apply some grease. I've tapped on it a few times with a rubber mallet, but it doesn't appear to want to budge, nor do I want to tap harder if this is the wrong approach.

Hobie thinks of everything, so I am confident there is any easy fix, I just need someone to show me the way... In the meantime, my Trimaran Sailyak will sit sullenly idle in my garage until I can figure this out...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can lube the crank arm - just spray some wd-40 and work it in...there could be a burr in the bushing - once you free it up should work like a charm. (we lube these in assembly now using marine grease - but when we first switched over we didn't use lube, but have found that some were seizing up - as long as you get some grease in there (or spray some wd40 you'll get it freed back up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Check to see if your spectra lines are wrapped around each other inside the hull. I had a similar situation and that turned out to be the problem. I was noticing more friction in one direction than the other. Finally figured it out.