Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage of the sail
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been advised that the sail should be stored rolled rather than folded as it needs to be if it is to fit the storage bag suppiled. The reason being that the fold weakens the sail considerably. Has anyone experienced this problem. What is the best way to store the sail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobieadel,
Welcome to the Hobie Forum. I store my sail just as I got it from my dealer--folded and rolled he same way in the supplied bag. I assume that this is probably the recommended method, but I haven't tried any others as yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sail material doesn't like to be folded. Folds, especially tight ones, can become semi-permanent and distort the shape of the sail, reducing its efficiency. They can also weaken the material if the sail is always folded in the same place.

On big boats, people often fold their sails because of the size and lack of storage space, but in the case of these small kayaks, rolling up the sail around the mast is the best storage I can think of (assuming you don't have a problem with keeping the mast in one piece).

Even on my Getaway I roll my mainsail (which is easy as it naturally rolls around the battens). I just don't want to see the creases from folds, and don't want to risk weakening the material with them either.

Post subject: Hobie sail storage
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys. The Hobie kayaks are relatively new to Adelaide (South Australia) so it great to be able to get advice from other Hobie owners. I am constructing a PVC tube with a screw cap end to seal it from moisture and will store it around the mast. Can't wait to see the outriggers in SA. I believe they should be available in September. Should make kayak sailing a whole lot safer. It would be great if there was a mast float. This would avoid some of the capsizing dangers I have read about in the forum.
Happy kayaking. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There are pluses and minuses to a water-tight sail tube. The obvious plus is that it keeps water out :) , but the minus is that it keeps water in :( And water (especially salt water) kept in a tight container in hot weather means a nasty brew of unwelcomed molds.

So, I would recommend simply rolling the sail around the mast. If you use your kayak around sea water, it is always best to rince the sail in fresh water before putting it away for a long time (salt crystals are quite abbrasive). For protection, a PVC tube is great as long as it has holes for drainage and ventilation.

There's no better place than on the water. Happy kayaking and sailing!

Post subject: Hobie sail storage
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

All good advice. Thanks mate