Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello !
Looking to try my luck with a sail and wanted to hear a few opinions before installation !
I own a Revo 16, have turbo fins and the large rudder, mounted the ama kit, and on the right side of the kayak( right rail) I have a short H- rail ( I use it for the fishfinder), and the anchor trolley kit.

So the questions are:

1) Is it possible to install the Furler kit to any side ( left or right) of the kayak or does it have to be the right side ? ( because i have a H-rail installed on the right side and can't place the fairlead on the right , as per the instructions, because the H- rail gets in the way ).
But I can place the fairlead and the furler line assemby on the left side as there is nothing to get in the way... so is it ok to install it on the left or does it have to be on the right side ?

2) How often during sailing is it necessary to furl and unfurl ? , and do you have to operate the rudder at the same time ( will be hard if the furler and rudder controls are all on the left)...

3) When sailing do i have to fold the mirage fins and only use the daggerboard or can i use both at the same time ?

4) The furler line assembly hook has to be anchored 5 " away as per instructions or can it be more ? I have a padeye about 7 - 8 " from the hook end that i can hook it to...

tnx in advance

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:37 am 
Site Admin

1) You can install it on either side. The right side allows you to maintain steering while using your right hand to furl.

2) You unfurl to sail and furl when done.

3) You can sail with the fins straight down (Feet together) or pedal while sailing. Both work. Easier to tack when pedaling.

4) You can add an extension line to the system to anchor further aft if desired. You need a bit of tension on the line system to keep it from slipping on the drum... but not too much or it binds (too much lateral load on the mast in the receiver).

Release the mainsheet and allow the sail to luff to furl. It does not furl well under load.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All three of my kayaks are rigged with the furler on the left and mainsheet on the right. Reasons:

1. You adjust the mainsheet much more often than the furler and still need to be able to steer while adjusting sail so the mainsheet is on right.

2. You may need to pull the mainsheet as you unfurl, especially in light winds. You will need to maintain light tension on the mainsheet when furling (perhaps contrary to what Matt said) so the sail wraps properly. Thus the mainsheet and furler should be on oppposite sides since you need both hands briefly.

Side note: The furler line is too short as provided by Hobie, at least when I purchased my three. Seems you can't quite fully open and close with the line provided, especially if there is any slip at all. I replaced mine with longer line to increase the distance between the ball stops.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the fast replies , got some followup questions :D

mmiller wrote:
2) You unfurl to sail and furl when done.

- so you usually don't regulate how much of the sail is unfurled during sailing ? you just unfurl to the maximum and go sail?

mmiller wrote:
3) You can sail with the fins straight down (Feet together) or pedal while sailing. Both work. Easier to tack when pedaling.

- Do i also need to add the Daggerboard when pedals are "straight" ?
Can the fairlead be bought separate ?

plfinch wrote:
1. You adjust the mainsheet much more often than the furler and still need to be able to steer while adjusting sail so the mainsheet is on right.

Ok, good point. If i understood it right with the main sheet you regulate the tension on the sail , how much you "load" it , and you will have to constantly hold it ?

plfinch wrote:
Side note: The furler line is too short as provided by Hobie, at least when I purchased my three. Seems you can't quite fully open and close with the line provided, especially if there is any slip at all.

Hm... saw the same problem, but I think you can just pull on the bunji cord to loosen the furler line assembly and readjust to starting position. I think it takes 1 readjustment to fully unfold the sail.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mainsheet - On my Oasis I mounted a shackle block on the stern and use another block and a Harken micro cleat so the mainsheet feeds more natural (pull toward you to tighten sail tension, release away from you to loosen sail). I generally cleat the mainsail but still keep hold of the line in case I need to loosen it quick.

Mainsheet Reefing: The furling kit as delivered will not really hold a "reefed" main and will just slip. Some folks do a full wrap with the mainsheet on the mast furler pulley to tighten things up but then you'll probably need a cleat on the furling line to reef. But, honestly, the sail is not that big and doesn't need reefed. Just let it out a bit if overpowered. Also note the mast will flex and depower the sail. So I sail with the full sail or no sail.

More on furling line: I do not like the eye post and fairlead setup and instead used Harken 16mm micro cheek blocks.

Attachment Hardware: If at all possible, thru-bolt the components rather than use well nuts. I had to be creative to get some of the nuts on and tightened.

Daggerboard: My Oasis has no provision for a daggerboard so I use the Mirage drive bungees on the kayak wrapped around the pedal arms and back onto itself. This keeps the fins perpendicular but is nowhere near as good as a daggerboard for going upwind.

Sidekick Amas: The ama kit makes sailing easier in gusty and rough conditions. We initially only used it on heavy wind days but now almost always have the amas on for the added stability even if we aren't sailing. But this is on a two-person Oasis which can get tippy under sail or in swells if the other person lacks lean intuition.

Peter