Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STAR sails
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all. I have been sailing my Revo 13 with the Hobie factory sail for three summers. I'm thinking of getting a Star sail for Christmas: the standard 2.5 m (as opposed to the Hobie 1.7). I'm usually sailing in 10mph winds.

Is anyone using the Star and how do you like it? I'm an experienced sailor.

Post subject: Re: STAR sails
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have 2 star sails, the 3.4m2 and a small storm sail that clips to the furled large one as i live in an area when 20+ knot winds spring up out of nowhere.

The star sail is amazing . A lot more flexible mast than the hobie and a far better furling system combine to have my hobie sail languishing in the shed. Basically the star washes off excess wind by flexing and spilling it - its nearly twice the size of the hobie sail and gives me a chance of keeping up with the Ais on a low wind day.

Then if the wind gets really gnarly i just furl and clip on a small storm sail thats around the 1.2m2 mark - its a completely different design with a really low centre of effort that stops my amas from burying and converts more of the sideways wind into forward thrust when its howling. Its got a boom so with a following wind it doesnt taco shell.

Cant recommend them enough - and for the yanks out there star now has an american guy licenced to produce them so you can get it without getting raped on postage etc.

Im using them on a revo13 2015 modded with finns amas to be a mini ai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am intrigued by the reply to the original question!

Basically I have gone in completely the opposite direction to the old master (Altmeister) and it is difficult for me to glean much input that relates to my set-up from his reply.

I sail without amas on an AI hull with an adaptor to accept the small hobie mast. I have upgraded my mast to a carbon fibre one so that it is stiffer and doesn't deform anything like as much in stronger winds. With this kit I will never keep up with an AI (except in the lightest of breezes when nobody is going anywhere fast) because you simply can't load up the sail like you can on a trimaran without risking a capsize. I can fly a 1.8m2 jib to increase sail area in light winds but I rarely do that these days (for simplicity's sake). I use a boom batten to reduce bellying/collapsing and resultant rolling on a dead downwind course.

I would be very interested to know how the Star sail is likely to compare with the standard Hobie sail on my set-up. Clearly a larger sail will work better in lighter winds but if the Star and Hobie were the same size would there be any noticeable advantage/difference in performance of one over the other - in other words is the star sail intrinsically a better-designed, cut, constructed, cloth sail or just a sail with more area, a different shape (and a boom?)...?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stobbo wrote:
I am intrigued by the reply to the original question!

Basically I have gone in completely the opposite direction to the old master (Altmeister) and it is difficult for me to glean much input that relates to my set-up from his reply.

I sail without amas on an AI hull with an adaptor to accept the small hobie mast. I have upgraded my mast to a carbon fibre one so that it is stiffer and doesn't deform anything like as much in stronger winds. With this kit I will never keep up with an AI (except in the lightest of breezes when nobody is going anywhere fast) because you simply can't load up the sail like you can on a trimaran without risking a capsize. I can fly a 1.8m2 jib to increase sail area in light winds but I rarely do that these days (for simplicity's sake). I use a boom batten to reduce bellying/collapsing and resultant rolling on a dead downwind course.

I would be very interested to know how the Star sail is likely to compare with the standard Hobie sail on my set-up. Clearly a larger sail will work better in lighter winds but if the Star and Hobie were the same size would there be any noticeable advantage/difference in performance of one over the other - in other words is the star sail intrinsically a better-designed, cut, constructed, cloth sail or just a sail with more area, a different shape (and a boom?)...?

Ok - the 3.4 doesnt have a boom - only the storm sail does.

The 3.4 obviously gets more wind on low wind days - yet is less tippy on high wind days due to the mast flexing.

I dont understand why you would stiffen your mast as wind strong enough to put you in the drink will do that better with a stiff mast.

Its hard to say - esp taking into account your hull speed is a bit faster than mine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail 99% of my considerable time out...open ocean, or wide bay areas in FNQ. using Revo11.
Have the meduim Star, and the small one. Both good sails, flex mast works well, though as I am 55ks wringing wet I use the small sail most.

Furls v.well, easy (no maintenance) occassional rinse with fresh water, had for 3 yrs, sailing average 3 times per week still looks good and no damage, lives in 20cm piping attached to roof racks, so gets v hot up here. So good value all round.

Might add yak lives on roof rack too, gets its wash when the car does, only comes off to sail , or it,s monthly check out, no bends lumps or bumps, very hardy craft our Hobies...

PK
T,ville