Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all!

Just a quick question about the sails and the furling kits so many people use with them. My wife and I have two 2016 Revo 13's and have the sail and furling kits to go with them. I was curious about the wear and tear on the mast mount on the boat from the repeated furling and unfurling of the sail. Is there anything that can be done to reduce or eliminate the wear and tear on the inside of the sail mount? I'm concerned that over time things might wear out and eventually create slop or play in the mount or worse, wear through the bottom of the sail mount and damage the hull.

I was always taught take cae of your tools/gear etc and they will take care of you and we really love our Revo 13's and want to take care good of them and make them last as long as possible. Also, any suggestions from you, Matt? I'd love to hear from a Hobie rep on this a well.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep it lubed. This may sound odd, but wiping the portion of the sail mast (the part that is inserted into the hull bore) with ivory soap creates a nice smooth lubricant that doesn't gum anything up (this is what they eventually figured out was the best product to lube the rails over the which Cape Hatteras Lighthouse was moved).

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's an interesting idea. I was thinking of maybe some sort of polyethylene friendly silicone lubricant or something but your idea sounds wonderfully simple and effective. It's too bad that Hobie didn't have some sort of sleeve insert for the mast mount that could accommodate the mast. That way it could be easily replaced with a new one should there be any wear and tear. My over active imagination was wondering if I could design and fabricate something along those lines that could mate up with a modified mast base and completely eliminate the wear on the plastic hull. Maybe something with an easily lubed bearing.

Hmmmmm.....the wheels just keep on turnng. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The ivory soap idea sounds the best, if it gets wet it just washes off. If damp it gets more slippery. I would stay away from any oils or lubricants that might attack the plastic or collect sand.
FE