Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I have a Revo, I´m thinking Island does to me a sail of the measures of the sail of adventure Island.
Has someone tried to sail with Revo and kit of sail Island?.
Revo+ Amas island + sail island.
Surface Revo watches = 1,88 sqm. Length mast = 3.15 m
Surface of sail AI = 5.38 sqm, Length mast= 4.62 metros
is´t possible?
:o

Thank you for your interest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Probably not.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Not possible.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

WHY :?:
Why muck around with something that isn't, when something does so well already, i am confused :? :?: :?: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with ELM that it's a lot of messing around to get a Revolution to full sailing status (like the AI or TI), so unless you have alot of patience and time on your hands I would take the Revo back to the dealer and see what can be done on a trade up (Hobies really hold their value, and our Hobie dealer gave me quite a bit for my 07 Oasis when I traded up to a TI, I think they really like to sell the used Hobie's to people who can't quite afford the new units, and they sell very fast.) With that all said, it is possible to get more sailing capability out of the Revolution but it's alot of work and you need to make some your own sails and rigging. If you go to one of my threads on this forum from a while back (Ultimate Tandem Island, hydrofils, jib, etc) viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33720 if you go halfway down the first page you will see the mods I did to my Oasis and Revolution boats (rigging fit both). The mainsail was 35 sq ft (basically a standard Hobie sail extended (now used as the jib on the TI in the photos), that I used on the Oasis, but just used the standard Hobie sail on the Revo. The 30 sq ft spinnaker sail ( I had a 40 sq ft spinnaker for the Oasis and a 30 sq ft for the Revo) when folded over the front stay works pretty good as a jib. The lead keel weight under the boat is what made it possible to sail (like a mono hull). If I had to do it again, instead of the blade shape on rubber tubing, I would design as a torpedo shape keel weight suspended by spectra string (shown in later images), for the Revo you will need a 25 lb keel weight with the standard sail and 35-40 lb keel weight for the extended sail. I modified all my boats back in 2007-2008 and sailed as shown for at least a couple years as you see them with no real issues (did tip over a few times). But I'm having much more fun with the TI (or AI) it is so much more versatile and is actually seaworthy, we even scuba dive off of our TI (with extra tanks and all gear sometimes 5-6 miles out to sea), we can get 2 adults and two kids, plus coolers, beach umbrellas, etc on the TI and go Island hopping all the time. We also take the TI up and down rivers (without the sails) and have even ran the rapids on the Huron river in MI on the TI. In the fall we look like the the guys on the deadliest catch taking a dozen or so crap traps out to sea, stacked on the trampolines. I couldn't have done any of that stuff with the modified Revolution. I guess what I'm saying is yes it can be done, but why, when you can get a AI or TI and it's ready to go right out of the box, and with trading in your old Hobie, it will cost much less than you think. It took me a year to design and make all the mods to my Revo (we still have the Revo), and all that time I could have been out having fun, if I had bought the AI or TI in the first place (no regrets though, we've had alot of fun times, basically out every single weekend, year round doing new adventures all the time). Hope this helps
Bob