Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For years, I have wanted to get into sailing of some sort...but living in the desert (Tucson), there wasn't enough opportunity to justify a large outlay of cash.

Since I read about the Hobie Cat Kayaks, I've been drooling for one. However, I want the best sailing kit available (Islander), but want to be able to take a passenger (most often my dog...but sometimes a human).

Apparently, Hobie Cat Doesn't have a Tandem Adventure style on the drawing board...soo...

Any suggestions on an upgraded sail kit that could be used on the Mirage Tandem? or would the Hobie sail, Turbo Fins, and amas be enough?

Although, I could now afford a small CAT (as in boat), it is too much for me to handle/travel with to easily take where I want to go. My goal is to start exploring Lake Powell and the Kayaks look like they are just the thing. Paddle/Peddle/Sail (not necessarily in that order).

Any suggestions would be great :)

Thanks,
Grumpy

Post subject: hey grumpy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi ya grumps :D
My wife and I bought a tandem in July and we really enjoy it. It has the sail kit and we added turbo fins recently as well. Its fun to sail or pedal and gets us where we want to go. I dont really know what you mean by "enough" but we have done a lot of trips in it and used the sail without amas and never tipped over. If you have any questions ..fire away? Heres a couple pictures of our excursions to check out
kepnutz

[img][img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k234/kepnutz/100_1400.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k234/kepnutz/100_1447.jpg[/img]

[/img]Image

Post subject: Thanks, Kep.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the Pix :)

What I was hoping for was sailing performance as close to the Islander as possible while in a Tandem (I'm probably just dreaming).

My fear is dropping close to $3000 in gear and not having the experience that I want.

Islander: performance that I want...
Tandem: company that I want..

choices, choices...

Are the sidekicks that can be purchased for the Mirage line just like the ones for the Islander?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same problem. The adventure Island seems to be really great, but no place for a passenger. I have 2 childs and I want to bring them with me.
I think the only solution is to add a kind of platform on the amas and put a chair or something like that. Or the other option is to buy a Windrider 17 that is suitable for 4 persons (2 between the amas and the center haul). The price of the Windrider is close from buying 2 Adventure Islands!!!! Also it seems to be faster (around 20 mph).
The amas kit for the adventure (not the Island) don't seems to be performant in terms of speed.
I'm waiting someone who modified his Adventure Island to bring at least one passenger before buying one.

Post subject: Island Amas / SidKick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Island Amas / SidKick?

Very different. The island amas are rotomolded and long. The SideKick amas are small and inflated.

I would think the next logical step would be a tandem version of the Adventure Island idea, but there is nothing in the works at the time...we have not yet delivered the Adventure Island at this time, so first things first!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Upgraded sail for Tandem
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Klep, Matt.

I think I'm going to order a Tandem with sail and Turbo fins and I'll look at the Sidekicks.

If I want more sail, I think I'll look into an add-on sail such as a Balogh Batwing...however, they cost almost as much as the kayak to begin with.

Matt...I know, I know...the Islander isn't even out, yet and people want more, more, more. The buzz on it is incredible and already the orders are flying...it just seems like a logical step to get a tandem version in the water...however, I don't think I want to wait that long. :)

As far as a Windrider...it looks like a great ride, but I think if I went that route, I'd rather get a Hobie Cat....but then no "peddle, paddle, sail" options :) As much as I want a great sailing experience, I want the options of the Mirage drives and ability to paddle when I want.

Post subject: tandem sail
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Grumps 8)
I sail the tandem every time I go out. The hobie sail kit works but with the Tandem its not super high performance sailing like a Hobie Cat for instance. The sail is fun to use and it makes pedaling a bit easier. In most cases I could just pedal a more direct route and get to my destination a little faster but using the sail on longer trips works out well and its just fun to do anytime simply because you can. The tandem will haul a lot of cargo too at 550 lbs capacity and yesterday I saw a guy in his tandem that had two kids in it and it seemed to work just fine. I did not see how they did the seating but there were three people on board :!: The Tandem is still a very nice boat even with the standard sail kit. :wink:
Kepnutz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
I would think the next logical step would be a tandem version of the Adventure Island idea, but there is nothing in the works at the time...we have not yet delivered the Adventure Island at this time, so first things first!

Okay, now that work on the AI is done... can we expect a tandem island in the near future? I'm planning to buy an Oasis next spring, so there is still time for Hobie to come out with a new product. :D