All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/gallery ... =10&res=lr

I hope the link works :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would love to have hydrofoils on my tandem just to reduce drag and increase speed marginally. I have no delusion of setting records with it or maintaining a plaine for long periods. I think with two people, a modified hull that would allow the mirage drive to sit four inches deeper in the water, it could lift the majority of the hull out- for a smoother, lower resistance ride. :D If anyone gives it a shot, let me know- I'll be waiting for my dealer to give me a call when he gets a lightweight tandem hull that is freight damaged so I don't feel bad cutting it up! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey nutzie,
Actually there are dozens of different hydrofoil kayak designs that all work on different sizes of boats, different propulsion mechanisms (pedal, bicycle, paddle, etc., but generally not sail), and made of different materials and of different weights. These often show up at the human-powered boat races that take place every couple of years or so in different places around the world. Here are a few pics.

So far, no Hobie well pop-in models, but one of these days...

Last edited by Apalach on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:09 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Great pics Dick. Here is a link to a few sailing hydrofoils (though not kayaks). Some monohulls have been around since at least the 1950's. Included, of course is the Hobie TriFoiler: http://www.foils.org/gallery/sail.htm

If I'm not mistaken, the Ketterman brothers' sailing trimaran "Longshot", forerunner of the TriFoiler, set several world records in the early '90's, one of which it still stands ( 500 meter 'A' class, 43.55 kts) after 15 years! So there's is plenty of hydrofoil expertise there at Hobie.

Here's a link on the TriFoiler history and a neat video:
http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/history_trifoiler.html
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How Ya Going Latch-Patch :!: :?:
Those are the coolest photos yet. Great stuff ! Yeah no Hobie Foils yet but it could happen..its not that crazy of an idea after all just look at the photos you found. :lol: Here's a link to a foils development site page for design/engineers/builders in case anyone is interested http://www.foils.org/index.html
Have Fun
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, for all you human-powered boat racing fans out there (you are out there, aren’t you?), here are some of the results and pics from one of last year's events. Last year’s WISIL race was held at Pierce Lake, in Rock Cut State Park, Rockford, IL, the same location as the 2003 event. The WISIL (originally a recumbent bike racing organization: Wisconsin Illinois Human Powered Vehicle) now includes a string of events for HPV boats as well.

If you missed last year’s events, not to worry—there are at least 10 events scheduled for 2008 (including one with a 2007 date!).

There are also a lot more sponsors of these races than I recall from past years, and a number of them now occur annually, rather than in alternate years. Now maybe, just maybe, Hobie can work on developing an advanced (add-on?) hydrofoil and/or Mirage Drive design that can use (at least, partially) the existing drive well on all the thousands of extant Hobies out there.

Now, we also need to take into consideration the comments of my good buddy, Punchinello re weight, so here is also a good opportunity for Hobie to try out some of their new ideas re a Kevlar or carbon fiber hull material. Now I don’t really KNOW that Hobie is working on such a craft, but I would be greatly surprised if Hobie, as the foremost kayak designer out there, had not been at least thinking about such a concept.

Not to mention the Canadian guy who is planning a trans-Atlantic crossing in a pedal-powered boat in December, 2008!

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2 ... 08-cp.html

Here are the 2007 race results for the WISIL.

Then there is also the International Human Powered Vehicle Association:

http://www.ihpva.org/

And the Decavitator from MIT that set the world speed record for HP boats back in 1991-2 at 21.3 mph!

And don’t forget the now-extinct Hobie TriFoiler that set the world sailing speed record of 50.1 mph that several of us discussed some years back.

http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 2071011161

And the list goes on and on and on… Actually, it is pretty amazing how this HPB thing has taken off world-wide in just the past couple of years!

Here are some pics from the HPB 2007 races.

Last edited by Apalach on Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the links ..great info... cool stuff :lol:
Kepnutz

Post subject: Re: Hey ya Bluffer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="kepnutz"]Nice Paint job on your Yak by the way. 8) As for keeping the foil goin on a sail craft. I guess it would depend on the hull planning parameters of the boat and its weight plus the amount of lift generated by the foil which is driven by your sail and that requires a specfied (by design) amount of steady wind speed to achieve enough lift. So as long as the wind remains consistent enough to keep the speed of the boat up then you could go a long long ways with the hull in the air riding only on the foils. The distance the wind blows is called Fetch I think and that can be thousands of miles across the oceans or just locally in shorter stretches. Thats just my basic grasp of how these foil things might work. Shoot Im no expert by any stretch. It just seems like foils are something that could be done and is being done here and there. It may not be practical for entry level folks like me or even workable in Hobie kayaks like ours yet, but what the hey why not ? Its already been working on other power boats, kayaks ,sailboats, surfboards , ferry boats, military vessels, jet skis and windsurf boards plus there is one version that is towed behind a ski boat. So there you have it thats all I know. I thought it was an interesting concept and just wanted to kick some ideas around with folks. Here's a video link to check out on surfboards using a hydrofoil that Laird Hamilton cooked up www.jengajam.com/r/24534 [url][/url]
Let us know if you get any good ideas maybe we could try em out somehow :wink: -kepnutz-[/quote]

Take a look at Hydrovision site link at KFS..those fins look do-able by someone in a garage...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Why is trifoiler extinct? Seems like the coolest idea ever

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

billocala asked:
Quote:
Why is trifoiler extinct? Seems like the coolest idea ever

Yay--it is, or was! But (as I recall), at about $30,000 a pop, and trying to find an area that was suitable for trailering, rigging, launching, and sailing this baby, it may have been neither very practical nor very affordable for most folks, in spite of its technological prowess. Not to mention that it was probably not commercially viable for the company. Here are some pics of a couple in action. Great boat that really pushed the limits of what was (and is) possible in terms of wind power and speed, however!