Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking at buying an Adventure Island. I would like to launch it from my boat slip where I have a Kayak launch deck. I have a 13 foot vertical clearance from my deck at water line to top of the cross beam.

I have done sail launch with a previous Oasis sail set up but that was the shorter sail. Is there any way to launch the AI with its 15 ft. sail from this deck with only a 13 foot vertical clearance?

Any advice or experience? AI sail is erect and cannot bend to move thru a 13ft clearance? or will flex to clear??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The mast will not flex, but it's not difficult to install the sail on the water. You could set everything up, pedal out to where you're in open water, and set the sail up in seconds. That's one of the greatest things about the Adventure Island, it's extremely simple to rig.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hey thanks old salt very helpful Ok, so spontons are out and mast is laying on the boat? and then would the mast come up from the front or the back of the boat? I have not found any sail rigging vids that shows the steps.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

These aren't my videos, but they do show how easy it is to just lift the mast into place. I've done it on the water with my Adventure Island when I had it. It just lifts and drops in place.

The first video shows it dropping in place. (around 20 in or so)

The second video will show the steps after that (The videos aren't perfect, but they do give you the idea)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5mTlFDQAgs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN7k-4RAvdQ[/youtube]

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Our AIs are slipped too. The mast rests on 3 L-shaped brackets attached to dock poles under dock roof so it's out of sun and rain. When it's time to go sailing, I lift the mast off the brackets (they're facing the boat slip, not the dock finger side) and just lay the mast down onto the far side of the AI, on the front and back aka cross bars. Hint: bottom of mast should be placed facing the front of the boat.) Load up everything else, get into the boat, pedal out to cove while extending the akas/amas. Make sure everything's ready/ship shape. THEN and Last, lift the mast (can do it sitting down, but I move a little forward to sit on the hatch) and put it in the mast cup and rig the lines. Easy peezy. I always make sure the amas are out when messing with the mast. I'm older (a woman never tells her age) and not the strongest in the neighborhood.

On days where I might go out sailing 2 or 3 times, I leave the furled mast in, lines rigged (furling line and mainsheet cleated), and just tie off to the outside of the dock. Now THAT'S really easy!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks all - just the info I need - I will try the open water mast hoist when I try the boat out next week here on Old Hickory lake in TN. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad to help! Let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rigging the AI at sea is easy: just paddle out with the sail furled round the mast & lying on the akas then stand up and drop the mast into the mast base, sit down, unfurl and sail off.