Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tips Revo! Where can I purchase one of those domed glides? Is that a Hobie part? Thanks again. jim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Revo_1756 wrote:
I know this is a repeat for some but for the newbies they are helpful tips.

Revo

The newbies Thank You.... :D

Words Of Wisdom From My Old Mentor....

"I never met a man on his deathbed, who wished he had spent more time at the office."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Salty. wrote:
Thanks for the tips Revo! Where can I purchase one of those domed glides? Is that a Hobie part? Thanks again. jim

They are not a Hobie part.
This is where I bought mine.
http://www.djpatio.com/leglides.htm

Check your local patio furniture sales/repair shops. They may have them.
I used this website because I could buy a small quantity. I bought only 2.
Scroll to 7/8" domed glides.

Revo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Revo! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:19 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Great suggestions Revo. If a dome cap can't be located easily, you can use a stainless round, pan or button head screw:
8)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner,

Quicker, easier and cheaper.

great idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I recently mounted the furling kit to my brand new but superceded '14 Adventure.
Thanks for the info in this post as it helped a lot with my install.
There is a lot to like about Hobie's furler. It is simple to fit and use. I really like the continuous loop and that it all fits on one side and is out of the way.
However I had trouble with the furler slipping and letting out the sail in strong winds. That's a huge negative. So I swapped the original furling line for a smaller 4mm line which allows an extra loop to go all the way around the furler. This, coupled with a CL213 Clamcleat, holds the sail securely in any wind.
With this install I've tried to use existing hole mounts where possible. The superceded Adventure has lots of them! I only had to add a few holes for the mainsheet padeyes and clamcleats.
I've included pics of the mainsheet routing as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:21 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Stringy, very clean installation! It looks like the furler and mainsheet routing along the sides are both in the paddle grooves -- if so, where do you mount your paddle?

One of the features that was lost on the 2015 models is the dual paddle grooves. This allows the paddle to be carried on the port side and the sail to be stowed while underway on the starboard without interference with the rudder handle.

Great choice on your new '14 model Adventure! I imagine you struck an excellent bargain!! What do you have mounted on your center hatch? 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Roadrunner. It was about $1200AUD cheaper than the '15 model. What I really like is that it is about 8kg's lighter than my AI hull!
I removed the paddle for the pics, but it does fit either side without touching the lines. I usually carry it on the port side and have the mast on the starboard side. I have added some pipe insulation foam to the paddle to stop the splashing from the water funnelling handles. This, together with the anti splash rings and the feathered blades means the paddle has never sat flush with the molded indents. There is enough room for the lines to work. The disc on the hatch lid is for my GPS mounted in a cheap ebay waterproof motorbike phone mount.

gps mount

I have made up some anti splash pipes as well to stop the water funnelling. They are cheap and lightweight and I just swap them around depending on the direction of the chop. Makes for a much drier ride.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone,

Thanks to all the useful information posted here I have had a relatively trouble free furler instillation, many thanks to all who shared their experience, Revo 13 BTY.

My question relates to the retainer, eye post that comes with the furler kit. There is already one fitted on the kayak, I presume to attach the sail bungee cord if a furler is not fitted? At the moment I am using this existing eye post for the sail down haul (retainer)

The furler instructions say to fit the supplied eye post 7" to the right and inline with the mast base for the down haul. Is this additional eye post required? is the positioning of the supplied eye post important I.e to one side of the mast?

Many thanks

Richard
Italy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will have to try the double wrap on furler drum, because the furler as is can not be trusted to furl sail, it slips and can get you into trouble, hope it works because I'm really not impressed with it as is!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Roadrunner
I hope all is well on your end of the state. It's Kepnutz with two Zs since I can't figure out my old login.
Anyway after my wife passed I sold our tandem oasis and replaced it yesterday with a 2016 Revo 13 that is more manageable to load on the roof. I was wondering if you had experience mourning sidekicks to the revolution 13 using screws nuts and washers and how to do it. I'm looking to order a Star Supernova Furling 3.3 meter sail and was hoping to get your input on mounting and rigging one of these if you have had any input for that as well.
No mad rush get back to me when you have time,
Take good care !
Kep. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Kep, welcome back! :)
A 2016 Revo eh....you'll notice they've come a long way from the old Oasis days.
The new seats are great and make for a much drier, more comfortable ride and the drive is greatly improved and simpler to fit.
Let us know what you think of the Star sail. I've been tempted but haven't got one yet, though I came close after talking to Bill about them.
Looking forward to your posts again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:13 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Kep --Yes, welcome back!!

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Mrs. Kep and her adventures with you on your excellent trips. You made her an integral part of the Hobie community as well. Please accept our condolences on her passing.

The Revo 13 is a great all around choice and I think you will be very happy with it. Unfortunately I have no experience with the Sidekick. They seem to be quite versatile for mounting location and I think right behind you with the ability to get to them easily for on the spot height adjustment while staying clear of the scupper openings (in case of long cart legs, etc). There was some small controversy about using well nut mounts several years ago but it didn't seem to be much of a problem. Of course, if you can reach the mounting location from inside, I would favor through hull fittings with washer and locknut. Perhaps others here with more experience will have some thoughts to share.

The Star sail looks pretty slick -- at almost twice the Hobie size I think the Sidekicks will be an excellent choice since you can get some good wind up there. The video mentioned "lee skegs" also to aid in tracking and better rudder control. If you get a chance to make a pair, I'd like to hear your opinion on them and maybe a "How-to" if you like them.

In any event, It's great to know you're back -- we missed you! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi RRunner Hi Stringy
Thanks for the welcome back, I love this Revo 13, I got it last week and have set it up with rod holders, fish finder, turbo fins and the sidekicks. Still need to order the star sail and get it set up and the Lee skeg sounds like a good idea. I'm interested in the Supenova 3.3 meter furling model and will keep you updated when I've got it up and running.

A Somali Pirate took over the ship when I was heading back to port.

Then I was ordered below deck to the galley to fetch some dinner or else' walk the plank.

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160724/
afbb4aed858dfc1b9a3e861ef6932745.jpg[/IMG]

Finally we worked out an arrangement to let the expert handle the rod while cat fishing while I navigated hostile waters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next