Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here is a link to a bunch of photos I took of the installation of the sail kit on my Outback. I prefer to pull the sail sheet from the front. So I think I figured out a way to route the sheet from the rear of the boat, forward to a turning block, and back to me. It just seems more natural for me to control the sheet this way, than over my back. Originally, I attached the rear mainsheet turning block to the existing rope handle strap. I found this caused problems with the rudder, so I re-installed it up on the side of the hull next to the screw-in access port. I installed a piece of flat fiberglass stock I had to strengthen this attachment. It was too narrow for fender washers to fit. Although the block is not centered, and the boat theoretically would point slightly higher on a starboard tack because of this, few of us, if any, could tell the difference. I was pleasantly pleased with how well the Outback sails to windward.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ ... 7582607037

Don
San Marcos, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds about right, although I don't have a yahoo account to view your photo album.
I also prefer to pull towards me to tighten the mainsheet, so I have a block on the rear padeye and installed a block on the forward-most footwell step (Starboard side).