Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stoked with performance
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yesterday mid-afternoon, a buddy and I took Blew Maru (2013 Oasis) out to the open water from Oceanside Harbor. That, in it's self, is nothing to write home about, but with Hurricane Norbert stirring the pot down Baja way, an element was added (to the equation) that inspired me to share our experience.

We entered the water from the public launch, and after a quick side trip to wave hello to my mother-in-law on the porch of her bayside condo, we headed out from the protected confines of the harbor. I learned early in my athletic (distance runner) and outdoor (backpacking) life that it is more productive to go out on a hard course and come in on an easier one, so we head south. Between the storm swells and wind direction, I figured a northern return trip would be easier and faster.

About 10 minutes into our southern route, I started to recalculate our plan. This route seemed much easier than expected and maybe it would be better to head in a different direction. After a quick discussion with my buddy, we agreed to perform an about face and head north. Actually, we first headed northwest towards and around the Whistle Buoy before heading north into Camp Pendleton waters. We cruised this northern route. It was just as easy as it was heading south, so we kept our course until the clock told us it was time to return.

Entering the harbor was just as easy as the rest of our voyage. Sure, we had major sized swells to contend with, but between my surfing background and my buddies extensive open water sailing experience, we turned around the Whistle Buoy and confidently plotted and maintained our course perfectly into calm waters.

This was my first experience with Blew Maru in strong swell open water conditions and her performance was outstanding. She was fast, stable, and responsive. Even my buddy (owner of two traditional sea kayaks) believes Blew outperforms his boats hands down. The Oasis is truly a great boat!

Longbikermike
H-town, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

That is awesome!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)