Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all -
I have an older (2002) Outback and want to make a larger rudder for sailing. Awhile back I saw a post (think it was on this forum) where someone had made a rudder out of plastic sheeting that can slip over the existing rudder. Of course I didn't save the link, so if anyone knows where I can find this info, please direct me.

I know there are some other possibilities like making one out of aluminum and such, but this was a neat and quick solution and easy on/off. I suppose I could just figure it out...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

do like I did and buy the sailing rudder and then take the small version and add it to the sailing rudder to get the extra depth and bite. The rudder will be to heavy to lift with the handle so just get out and pick up the rudder by hand. Works great for me. and I have a good deep bite in the water. Turning is improved also. Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Thinwater -
How did you attach the newer rudder to the old one? If you can post a pic of the setup that would be helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nolabayou wrote:
Thanks Thinwater -
How did you attach the newer rudder to the old one? If you can post a pic of the setup that would be helpful.

I will try to get a pict tonight. but not sure about getting it posted on here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks - if you can figure out how to post that would be great. Would like to see what you did.

In the meantime I found the thread here by kepnutz about making a larger rudder sleeve for anyone who is interested. Scroll down the post a bit and you will see pics and details. Looks to be an easily doable upgrade:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7257&hilit=+sailing+rudder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also have an older Outback (2005, I believe). I have the sailing rudders on all my newer boats with the Twist -n-Stow rudder mechanisms. I've thought about making a larger rudder blade for the old Outback. What I would really like is to replace the old rudder with a Twist-n-Stow, to which I can add the sailing rudder blade. It would really help to be able to fully ship the rudder when you're about to drift backwards into something.

What's the chance of getting a factory-engineered retrofit kit to put the Twist-n-Stow on the older Outbacks? That would be worth a couple of hundred bucks to me, to get it right the first time instead of dinking around trying to rig something up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone here come up with a way of retrofiting a Twist-N-Stow rudder onto an older Outback (2005)?

Oswald the Bold wrote:
I also have an older Outback (2005, I believe). I have the sailing rudders on all my newer boats with the Twist -n-Stow rudder mechanisms. I've thought about making a larger rudder blade for the old Outback. What I would really like is to replace the old rudder with a Twist-n-Stow, to which I can add the sailing rudder blade. It would really help to be able to fully ship the rudder when you're about to drift backwards into something.

What's the chance of getting a factory-engineered retrofit kit to put the Twist-n-Stow on the older Outbacks? That would be worth a couple of hundred bucks to me, to get it right the first time instead of dinking around trying to rig something up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

viewtopic.php?f=11&p=243371#p243371