Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never thought of that. I still haven't figured out how to get the PA of the trailer in the garage without help. I will have to re-think my trailer ideas. Would you mind looking at my trailer thread?

viewtopic.php?t=54045

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think you are asking about getting the PA onto the trailer in your garage.......If you look at my posting on March 2....this is where I moved the trailer lights to the 2 x 2 & u-clamped on to the rear carrying handle, you will see a boat roller I added to the end of the main frame.
Since I did not opt for the Hobie cradles, I used 2.875" OD schedule 40 PVC. I was able to use 11 degree couplers to angle down the PVC which helps to guide the hull onto the supports.
The roller works very well and protects the hull on and off the trailer.

You should be able to slide your PA off the trailer in your garage as long as it's still hooked to your car/truck hitch......I slide mine of on to an old garage mechanics "creeper" that I attached a couple of 3' long 2 x 4's that are covered with indoor/outdoor carpet....attached to each end of the creeper.
To get it back onto the trailer, I lift the bow on to the end of the trailer and pick up the stern and slide it back on.
The only time I do this is when I clean the bottom and add Aerospace 303 protectant to the hull.....I believe it's the same stuff as the Hobie protectant.......works very well, but makes the hull slippery as ice.

The 3rd. trailer tongue wheel (about $35) that clamps on the frame, makes moving the whole loaded trailer easy inside my garage....I store my PA-14 on the trailer and I assume your plan is the same.
So, the more you add/modify your trailer, the heavier it becomes........having the axle positioned so the tongue weight is not excessive makes a world of difference.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't think i have room for rollers but I'll see when i re design it and move the axle forward.

Need to get another one of these brackets first

Already added the wheel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did you splurge for the larger wheels?

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, 12 inch better for highway time but now you have to stick more of the trailer into the water to get the boat to float!

Looking at the axle box if I just flip it around it would move the axle 28 inches inches forward and I would only have to drill one hole. So I might do that so I can get most of the boat in the water without submerging the wheels. But the trick is the lights I need to get those up out of the water too. Don't really want to mess with lights mounted to the boat like Dr. Steelhead. Also still trying to convince the wife to sell the outfitter so I don't need to make a rack.

It's nice this weekend so tomorrow I'll take it off and play a little w/the trailer. Does Cabelas have boat trailer stuff or is there a better place to get marine equipment around Omaha? Need to look at FF and maybe a Power-pole. Already got 6k in the boat/trailer what another K (don't let my wife see that)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hah! Bass pro has some stuff. There is also a boat dealership on the corner of 90th and L near select sail.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

all of those places had squat... I just needed a wide keel roller. Looks like it will be Amazon and work on the trailer next weekend. I cleaned out my garage today and tried to put the trailer in my third bay and it's too long by like 6 inches so there will be some trailer modding needed. I'll post pics once I get it all worked out but I am going to move the axle box 28 inches forward, move and re-adjust the cradles, add a winch tower to the front, add some rollers of some sort, cut 6 inches off the tongue and figure out a way to get the lights up and out of the water. I was cleared to finally sell the outfitter so it's on craigslist and I am going to hold off on making a rack.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know my trailer isn't going to fit straight in my garage. I'm going to have to angle it slightly. Unfortunately we live in the Midwest which is not exactly the mecca of marinas and boat dealerships, so it doesn't surprise me you struck out. Good luck selling the outback!

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sea trials start tomorrow for my PA17. I plan to put in at Chalco Hills (sp?) and try my hand at launching, maneuvering and recovery solo mode. Might even fish! If all goes well I'll take the wife out this weekend and wait till the water warms up to take the kiddos out.

Still working out recovery without getting wet and no winch...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dude! You're braver than I am! I still need to set my delivery date. Select Sail said they would need about 2 weeks notice. I'll take a look at the long range forecast and maybe pick a date soon.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well one of the factors to getting the PA was the drier ride. I don't anticipate getting wet as I think the water is in the 40s at best. We'll see I have a dry suit top from my old kayaking in rivers days but I think we'll be fine.

Do they have your TI already? They asked when I wanted to pick mine up after the boat show and I asked how fast can they set the trailer up :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep. TI came in a few weeks ago. It's still boxed up in their warehouse. It didn't make much sense to pick it up and just stick it in the garage. That would make it even harder seeing it sitting there and not being able to do anything with it. I talked to Dawn at the boat show too. She said they needed 2 weeks notice to put the trailer together and get everything squared away. I'm thinking closer to the end of April.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Today would have been great for a TI, cold but fun. I enjoyed the downwind leg in the PA but trying to get back to the dock was killer. Into the wind the whole way. I wish i would have taken the sail.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI scheduled to be delivered 4 April! We may even get out for a maiden voyage on Easter.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Woot! Let me know and i'll bring the pa out and take pics