Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

Just joined the group. We recently bought a used 2008 oasis mirage and, I'd like to add a second sail like Stringy and Stobbo did with their Oasis kayaks. Does anybody have photos of what the mount looks like connected to the front hatch bulkhead? Unfortunately, Stringy's web photos are no longer available. Also, please let me know if you have any other suggestions on how to mount the front mast. I have already mounted a set of stock A.I. amas and akas to the oasis and they work beautifully. As Stobbo has already mentioned in a previous post, the OEM mirage sail kit is undersized now that the kayak has the additional form stability of the amas, so the additional sail area of a second sail looks promising.

Thanks.

Cheers,

E.J.
Apollo Beach, FL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

EJ - responded via email.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Stobbo,

Thanks, but I dont think the email has come through, yet.

Thanks,

EJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here you go EJ, though as you have added the AI aka/ama etc I'm thinking that you will find adding a second sail still a bit underwhelming. Have you considered adding the AI mast/sail? It might be possible to make a mount using the bulkhead/mast mounting between the two seats. Then you could use your existing small sail at the front.

How and where have you attached the aka to your Oasis?
Some pics would be good! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi stringy,

Thank you so much for the photos of the front mast mount. It is really a slick design.

I will take some photos of my oasis with the akas mounted tomorrow.

Thank you again for your help.

Cheers,

EJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:

:shock: that's a beautiful setup Stringy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stringy,

I finally got some photos for my oasis with the AI amas installed:

I had to mount them a bit further aft than I wanted to, but the boat is surprisingly well balanced. Hopefully the schooner rig won't affect the CE/CLR too much.

Here is a photo of the ring that I rolled last night in my old metal ring roller. I'm going to mock it up/tack it up with carbon steel first, then make the mount in stainless once everything looks good.

Tonight I should be done with welding the mast rings and support bars. I'll post photos when complete.

Thanks,

EJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

EJ:
You could also try to do something similar to what I did on my Oasis, and add jib/spinnaker sails, this way you can choose to use them or not, I wouldn't copy the snuffer in the pic though, the snuffer sock design sucked, and the keel weight thing sucked.

Here is one of Revo's with a jib/reacher

Or you could go to a wing sail, wings are cool. Basically wings weathervane 360 degrees when not engaged, and are more powerful than regular sails.

I think Stringy had all the coolest stuff

I like your AMA's

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the photos and info. That wing sail looks great. Did you build your wing sail? If so, how difficult was it to make?

Cheers,

EJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

EJ:
Actually thats my wing jib for my TI, when I made it I made it dual purpose so I can use it for kayak sailing also. The TI is a huge boat, and just a standard Hobie kayak sail is on the smallish side (I think they are around 20 sq ft), the wing jib is 33 sq ft, but seems to have more power than a standard sail.

When we had our Oasis, we experienced the same (wanted for more), thats why I jacked around with all the different sails and stuff playing around.

I had made about a half dozen jibs for my TI, then when I watched the Americas cup races got interested in wing sails. Well I don't have $5 million bucks ( or some ridiculous figure) for an AC 72 type wing sail, so I started reading all of Tom Spears stuff on wing sails (learned a lot). I then just threw somethin together in my garage over a couple weekends using my wifes sewing machine, materials were over a $100 bucks (really expensive). The wing is kind of based on the Eppler 420 wing form.
It's fun to play around with, that's about it.

Making it completely furlable was a lot more work and effort than it was worth (kind of a waste of time IMO), I never use that stupid furling feature on the water, only when I tear the boat down and lay the sail down for trailering (on the fully rigged TI). When using it in kayak mode I can roll it up and store it strapped to the side of the kayak just like I do with the Hobie kayak sail (well that was the plan anyways), but have only been out kayaking a couple times since I built it. Kind of a waste of time, I thought I would use it more, but because it is way too tall (around 17 ft), it's a little top heavy when kayaking (really light winds only). If I ever make a new one (just for kayak sailing) it will be much shorter.
Many of us love to follow this kind of stuff on the forum.
Good luck
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Apollo_clipper wrote:
Stringy,

I finally got some photos for my oasis with the AI amas installed:

EJ

Wow EJ...how good is that! :D
Brilliant!
Now that is really the slickest design!
You've achieved what I was dreaming of back in 2008 (pre TI). I even bought a second AI in Papaya to match our Oasis with the intention of doing just what you've done, but I never got around to it. Then word came through of the TI in development and I decided to wait for that.
I love the way it sits in the water with the ama barely touching.
It deserves more sail area than two 20sq/ft'ers!
Looking at your forward aka I don't think it would be too tricky to come up with a mount for the AI or better yet, the TI mast/sail. You have the aluminium angle(?) and the aka bar to attach a mount to and you could use the original mast tube holder and 7/8 tube to act as a pin for the mast base. You would probably have to go above the aka with bracing (checkout how the Bravo mast is braced) but I reckon it's do-able.

Re the CE/CLR- you may want to consider adding an AI daggerboard. Easy to do using a drivewell plug for a mounting base.

As Bob said we love looking at this stuff.

Thanks for the pics and congrats on a great achievement! 8)

PS- Great job on the ring ...it's actually round, unlike mine which was bent as I worked my way around welding it to the saddles!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys, here are some photos of the mount I just made using Stringy's design, which is absolutely brilliant! I mocked it up in carbon steel, but will eventually make it in Stainless.

I thought about using the AI mast, sail, base cup and delrin bearin assembly, but the Admiral (aka my wife) wanted to use her kayak, so that project will be for later in the year.

Cheers,

EJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

See, this is why I love this forum: you guys know your stuff and are adventurous enough to build some truly exceptional modifications. Keep it up!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

EJ,

I was wondering if my email ever came through though it is a bit of an academic question because my boat is the later model and therefore requires a different installation (I don't have the round front hatch that you have - I have the toilet seat lid). Given that you are on the earlier Oasis you are in the right hands with Stringy's installation - I would have copied it too if I had had the earlier boat - it looks a good solid solution and I guess is probably/possibly a little bit easier to 'operate' than mine is because my mast base is way out in front of the front cockpit in the foredeck of the boat which makes it rather harder to reach than something inside the cockpit.

Anyway it is good to see that you are making good progress - it really is a good upgrade to the Oasis which IMO and as mentioned before (Note to Matt Miller at Hobie!) really should be delivered with two mast bases as standard!