Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi all,

Finally back on the water after a long stretch of medical issues. Was a year ago this month I was sailing with jcanracer and he capsized.
Since that time he got the amas and has been happy with the performance. I used the sidekicks but recently got the Spring Creek amas for my birthday. A test run on the lake behind my house I was impressed with the functionality and stability they offer.

I know some of you feel amas are not needed but I am not one to go over unless I want to. I sail for fun and not to have to worry if I might turtle. I find the revolutions will easily turtle in more than 10-15 mph winds. A good wave or big gust and splash. Jcanracer suffered that fate in the Revolution 11 and ended up with a bent mast and so ended that day of fun.

I use a cam cleat and can go hands free to take pictures, grab a drink with no worries of going in the drink. I have yet to try fishing and sailing together. We fished for a few hours then changed over to sailing rigs and sailed a few hours more.

The wind was a steady 15mph with gusts to 20mph. Even with amas a couple hikes were unnerving but stayed upright. Without them would have definitely gone in.

Anyway it was a tremendous amount of fun and I was so happy to be back out on the water.

Video of the day sailing with jcanracer in the mango revolution 11 and i have a 2010 revolution 13. Sorry bout the shakiness but was holding my Olympus waterproof camera. Next time need a mount. best viewed at 1080p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdEyYtg ... e=youtu.be

Our rigs:

Love the Hobie Kayaks!

Revo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That was an excellent day for sailing (good thing too because it was crap for fishing :lol: ).
The amas really gave me the confidence I lost after I capsized last year. When sailing a revolution, a sudden gust of wind or an uncertain gibe can have you unsteady (or unseated) in the blink of an eye; the amas give you the time to adjust yourself to the sudden change in sailing conditions.

Thanks for showing me the ropes Revo!

PS: I really should have brought my GPS to see how fast we were going, I'm pretty sure we exceeded 4mph a few times, maybe 5mph avg when we were transitioning from Beam Reach to Broad Reach?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Next time we will have to plan an excursion and a float plan. Do some exploring. Would like to head down Viscaya way sometime. We can do that off Hobie Beach. Bring some short rods and a light tackle box and sail to some good spots to fish. The bite was on fire there Sunday.

Shame all the grass flats in NBB were covered in sand/sediment from the dredging. Not the first good fishing spot ruined by dredging and won't be the last.

I was thinking I should have opened my iNavx app on my phone and clocked it with the GPS. Can do on the next trip.

Revo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where did you get the Papaya Amas for the Revolution 11? I would love to have some like that for my Outback.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Labluvr wrote:
Where did you get the Papaya Amas for the Revolution 11? I would love to have some like that for my Outback.

Here you go!
http://store.springcreek.com/Spring-Creek-Stabilizer-Floats-Hydrodynamic-HD-Complete-Package-for-Canoe-p1580.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Labluvr wrote:

i have one that i'm really not using if you're interested...