Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm new at this forum, I just purchased a 2015 Mirage Tandem Oasis, used it yesterday, my issue is the Vantage seats, is anybody having problems with the front edge of the seats ? if you're wearing shorts, you will feel a prickly edge of the seat. when we got home, we took the seats out and looked closely,we couldn't see anything, but if you run your finger across the edge of the seat, it feels like nylon threading that's sticking out and very prickly, one seat, you can feel it on top of the front edge, the other seat, you can feel it on the front edge. We called our dealer, he checked one of his vantage seats in the display room and he said he felt a rough edge too and will notify the hobie company.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:57 pm 
Site Admin

Not sure if this is the same, but the 3D mesh can feel prickly when new.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Haven't noticed it but I am wearing my Dacron sunproof leggings, are you wearing shorts, ie is it skin to seat contact?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yes, we are wearing shorts, you will be having skin contact with the edge of the front seats, but that's not the case, you do feel prickly nylon threading on the edge of the seats, we have contacted Hobie company, the person on the phone said, he checked one of his seats and discovered the same problem, he told us to contact our dealer and will switch them with new ones. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow I wonder what caused that to happen?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know if mine are "prickly" but I do know that the mesh is uncomfortable against bare skin according to my wife.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you run your finger along the front top edge of the Vantage seats, you may feel a prickly feeling, it feels like a bunch of fishing lines cut standing on the end, if they are short in length, you will feel something, we've already had two confirmed cases, from our dealer and a rep from Hobie company. We are getting our two seats replaced by our dealer, our dealer checked one of his seats in the show room and discovered the same problem. On our first day out on the kayak, we put a towel on the seats to prevent skin contact with the edge of the seats, if you're wearing shorts. Hopefully this can be resolved, it seems like a simple remedy, if Hobie wasn't able to fix this problem, I was going to use a soft rubber car door edge protector to protect door edges when it's opened, cut it to length of my seat and slip it on the edge.
I purchased the kayak in June, I've only used my Kayak 3 times. So far I'm enjoying the Oasis, we took it to a lake, just to get used to the kayak, hopefully we will take it to a beach soon.