Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, thanks in large part to your responses on my upwind sailing thread I'm going to buying an Adventure and fitting it w/ a sail kit (probably STAR sails, but that's a different topic).

I'm looking at several different options on older model Adventures (kayak only) between 2010 - 2014.

(I'm not interested in paying full retail for a 2015 revolution 16 model, and I'm not a big fan of the new seat: I'd rather sit lower & don't mind getting wet).

Wondering what differences there were between 2010-2014, and if there's anything in particular to pay attention to?

I've gathered that the MirageDrive went from v1 to v2 in 2009 so all of these will be v2 boats.

But my local Hobie dealer was pretty hand-wavey about the differences/improvements in these years so thought I'd ask you all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would only consider 2011's and on.
The cracked drivewell was a problem up to and including 2010's.
The 2011+ AI had the stronger longer gudgeon and upgraded rudder and I think the Adventure had the same gudgeon?
From 2012 on (I think?) the pin guide system for inserting the Miragedrive and reinforced scuppers were introduced.
Generally the later the boat the better the boat. Hobie have continually made improvements and a 2014 would be what I was looking at if available.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just recently went from a 2009 to a 2014 Adventure hull. First off, I agree, don't get anything pre-2011 because they were more vulnerable to drive well cracks (I had one).

I don't know how things break down by year, but upgrades I found were: scupper-holes have plastic inserts protecting them (very nice); the rudder went from a twist-and-stow to a larger up/down (good for sailing, but more annoying for transport/storage), carrying handles installed, and a more ergonomic rudder control. The boat also seems about 10lbs lighter to me I think because they use a different polyethylene blend but I could be wrong about that.

The rudder is the main difference; not sure what year they did that. Since you are buying used and your choices may be limited, I would just look for anything 2011 or later.