Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

my budget poverty product ai

Started when i bought a sail off one of the other forumites on yakfishwest - i wasnt really ready to get into sailing as i was just learning the ropes - but was offered a good deal - both ways it worked out so i thought why not.

Revos are tippy - ive gone arse over tit a few times already and i didnt see that getting any better with a sail - quite the opposite .....

So i ummed and ahhhed for a few weeks over small outriggers or polynesian style - seeing the vid another forumite had on the swan sold - esp when he said you can just fish with one. I like the idea that if we want to go on a 3-4 day trip - with the outrigger i can carry the gear i want with me. Then in a weeks time strip it to the bare minimum and fish the greenough or chapman river. (pretty small rivers with lots of shallows)

So i ordered the finns outriggers.

Great outriggers but the akas are pissweak - as was the fittings to secure them to the hull. Toy stuff.

Got decent clips for them that wont work loose or wear easily

But that left the akas - id read and been told by a few people that the akas crumple under any decent pressure - so i sourced some 3mm ally tube that sits snug inside the finns ones - strong enough i hope

Also ive been warned that heavy winds or gusts will damage the mast mount internally so i fabbed up a bit to assist against that

Then i used teflon plastic to make a support/ bearing so the mast has additional support taking stress off the base

Bit more plasic on the inside to help strengthen the assembly

And dealt with the furling kit slippage by putting some 20mm comms conduit - flange end to the mast - over the rope pulling it tighter at the neck - doesnt slip at all now

The ram holders have been disappointing to say the least - i love the idea of the rocket launchers but the lack of grip is terrible - you cant troll with them unless your reel is 100% waterproof.

Sanded the insides - coated with the flash superglue i use - sprinkled sand then recoated with glue and voila

Now it works exactly how i want - you can move it to the trolling position and to the righing position without undoing it at all

Once in the trolling position it wont dip towards the water - its just locked hard.

Then i saw this thing on wetsuits that are being made less visible / repellant to noahs.

Cant hurt i figured..... The old marker pen.....

Last edited by Almeister on Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hmmm for some reason the img code that i use on other forums doesnt work here??

Anyone know why?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your image URLs look a bit strange:

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac11 ... um%20embed%(censored)/B920926F-C11F-43ED-A08C-BC72DCA66BED.jpg

I don't use photobucket, so can't say if this is a typical link, but the "(censored)" text seems a bit strange.

Mike.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mingle wrote:

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac11 ... um%20embed%(censored)/B920926F-C11F-43ED-A08C-BC72DCA66BED.jpg

I don't use photobucket, so can't say if this is a typical link, but the "(censored)" text seems a bit strange.

Mike.

Thankyou -

I think the forum automatically censors the word S}#t

And the heading for that section of my photobuvket is "random forum embed s}#t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, that's it - this forum automatically censors 'bad' words.

You might have to change the heading in photobucket and update the URLs on you original post.,

Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh wow sounds like a good project. Now I'm really itching to see those pics!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

replaced the hobie furl rope with its dumb arse knots that just get in the way with an endless loop =-=- just used a sewing needle - started an inch above the join and fed it to an inch below the join - about 15 times with 40lb braid - then put shrinkwrap over the top to stop fraying

works a treat - just keeps rotating endlessly so if you get a bit of slippage you dont end up stuck in your fairlead etc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

tried installing the outriggers to the rear with expanding ramset rubber =-=- didnt like it - the ramset only has 5kg rating and 10kg either side wont cut it in a spot of bother i thought - cant access it from the hatch - too far to reach so....

took it to a plastic welder and had 40mm of plastic welded to it - now coach bolted down and strong as

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mingle wrote:
Yep, that's it - this forum automatically censors 'bad' words.

You might have to change the heading in photobucket and update the URLs on you original post.,

Mike.
mingle wrote:

Mike.

fixed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jcanracer wrote:
Oh wow sounds like a good project. Now I'm really itching to see those pics!

fixed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now that I can see... it looks great! :D
I really wish we had those stabilizers here in the USA, mine are only half that length :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You cant order them from somewhere or mail order?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Almeister wrote:
You cant order them from somewhere or mail order?

Not unless I want to import them from Australia! I haven't seen anything comparable to the Fins Outriggers here in the USA :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Took her out yesterday in reasonably light winds.

This time had the gps and budget gopro - hope to figure out imovie so i can post up vids.

Speeds clocked as follows:

Ddw - 5.2 kmh
Broad reach 9.2kmh
Beam 8.8kmh
Close hauled 4.1 kmh

Really happy with the broad, beam and close haul - ddw needs work - the sail does its best interpretation of a taco shell - i have a cunning plan for that however