Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Passenger on new AI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did somedy try to embark a children in the AI Behind the rear seat or on the akas beams (using something as wood or anything else to make a kind of seat.)?
The reason I'm asking that is because I want to bring the familly with me. I want to buy a Windrider 17 for this reason, but for the price of a used one, I can buy 2 AIs, and I will not need to have a special trailer, a motor, pay the water ramp, etc.

So if I can bring familly with me on 2 Ais (2 adults + 2 childs (2 years and 4 years old)), I better buy two AIs!!

Post subject: Kid in the back?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, you can carry a small child in the back cargo area. 2 and 4 years old... no problem.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The AI is a well balanced boat, but it's a small boat therefore sensible to weight. If you're 200lbs like me adding a small child in the aft well is likely to bury your stern.

So the answer is "it depends"!

If you're light to medium weight, a child is no problem. If you're on the heavier side, a child is probably fine in flat waters.

Just use good judgement. The AI is very stable, so you can place the child in the aft well, sit in you regular place and turn sideways to check the level of then stern over the water.

Remember that the child is likely to want to look forward (i.e. sit toward the rear end of the well). 40lbs close to your back is not the same as 40lbs on the other side of the well. And then the child is behind you and you can't see what he/she is doing.

For a small child I'd rather rig a net or tarp between the akas next to you. Looks like it would be more fun for both of you and be safer.

Happy sailing!