Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Installing a Kayak Sail on a new to me 2010 Revolution 13. Noticed that mast tube was a little loose at the bottom where it fits over a nub. I removed the tube, put some epoxy at the bottom of the tube, then reinstalled so the epoxy would flow around the nub to provide a tight fit at the bottom. I cleaned and roughened the tube inside so the epoxy would stick, and put a release agent on the hull nub so the glue wouldn't stick there (probably wouldn't stick to hull anyway) so I could still remove the tube.

Waited a day for the epoxy to cure. Put the mast in and loaded it by hand and noticed the hull plastic supporting the top of the step tube deforms noticeably. I would think the plastic in that area should be thick enough so there would be minimal deflection under load. Is this cause for concern? Do I need to reinforce this area somehow?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I posted this on the Facebook Hobie Revolution Kayak Owners page, where I could also post a video of the deflection of the hull when loading the mast. Is there is a way to post videos here?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/hobierevolution

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To post pictures you need to have a public host site like photobucket, or some others, ( set to public). Where you link the web address inside the double img icon at the top of the menu, ( when writing a post)
You do the same with youtube videos by pressing the youtube2 button, then pasting the youtube link in between two youtube2 words. In youtube you just select share, below the video and it gives the link.
I think there are instructions somewhere in the admin area of the forum on how to do this stuff.
Hope this helps
FE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Instructions for posting photos and video:

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK, here is my first attempt to post video link.

[youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/owVU1EkOjek?feature=share[/youtube]

https://youtube.com/shorts/owVU1EkOjek?feature=share

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would think that some flex is common with these plastic hulls.

Have you tried it on the water as the load will be somewhat different, with the hull motion in the water.

To stiffen that part of the hatch molding, maybe pop rivet a long stiffener on the inside of the hull.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
I would think that some flex is common with these plastic hulls.

Have you tried it on the water as the load will be somewhat different, with the hull motion in the water.

To stiffen that part of the hatch molding, maybe pop rivet a long stiffener on the inside of the hull.

Have not taken it out yet. I may try it in calm winds first.

I have thought about installing a stiffener. I have a 7/8-inch aluminum tube to run crossways and attached to the upper mast support hull housing with a band clamp. Then at the two tube ends with a piece of angle attached to the upper deck of the hull, which seems to be thicker than the plastic around the mast.

This hull had a badly cracked seat area when I bought it. I plastic welded it (not a pretty job though). I noticed the plastic seemed very thin there, about like in the mast area. I wonder if this hull got shorted some plastic when it was rotomolded.