Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Side Deck on My AI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in the process of putting a mesh deck on one side of my A. I. It will be between the hull, the ama and the braces. The purpose of this is to use it as a place to lay items while I'm bottom fishing. I'm using 2 mm mesh. Does anyone think this might cause a problem with the wind trying to lift the A. I. out of the water on the windward side. I am hoping that since I am just using mash the air will blow through the material. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't think you will have any problem with the wind and mesh but in good wind it will be underwater and may slow you down and cause rudder control problems.

That is why I have been trying different designs to keep my shield from digging in, I am also trying to get lift on the nose of the yak and amas.

gwiz

Post subject: Side deck
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I probably will only have the side deck on when I fish. I am sowing in a measureing tape so that I can lay my fish on the deck to measure them. The deck is only for adding additional work room while I am fishing. I'm also building a splash shield like yours out of 30ga. plastic. Everything should be done by the end of next week. I'll keep you posted. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Gwiz
How are you trying to "get lift on the amas and nose" ?
Increased lift via some type of new floation device ...or by raking back the mast to move the power/drive of the sail aft to lift the nose higher in stronger winds or by adding a small jib or both..? I am just curious..if you do something cool let us know :wink:
Thanks
....Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With my sprayshield design to purposely trap air under it lifting it and the front of the yak up. I bunj it to the front of the amas as well.

The faster you go the more air gets trapped under it. I was just trying to keep the shield from digging in but in getting it to lift it lifts the front of the yak also. It is especially noticable when beating into the wind closehauled, making it easier to plow through waves.