Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HAR01DAV,
Sadly since I got my AI's the Tandem has seen very little sailing and I have not gone on to improve the furler. :(
If I was doing it again I would copy the layout of the AI which works very well. Have a look at how the furling line and mainsheet are routed with the cam cleats on the crossbar. You could mount yours in a similar position.
This post may help:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=11526

Post subject: furling sail (oasis)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Stringy,
Thanks for the reply. hope your enjoy'n the AI. I think if nobody else responds with better idea i'm giong go with yours. And if I have trouble with bear'n tangle I'm going to make a thin teflon disc and put between bearing and canopy clamp. Maybe this will hold it out of bearing. It's time to install now. Also I'm working on a bracket to allow mounting of the bimini and the sideskicks in the same spot. In my case that will be behind front seat between the mast. I'll post pics as soon as done.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:50 pm 
Hobie Team Member

just wondering guys... is this the best furling method... I am a long time Ai owner and love it.. I just recieved a new adventure and i want to rig it for sailing so i got the side kicks and the small sail.. in hawaii we do need it to furl for the sudden strong gust of wind..

please inform me if this is the best possible solution for furling the small sail or if there is a better way, can you refer me to that link... ALOHA and MAHALO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use the daggerboard when sailing in kayak only mode on all points of sail. The stability it adds made the sidekicks unnecessary. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have an AI the best option to make the small sail roller furling would be to make an adapter for the AI mast base to allow it to accept the small sail (I have done it & it is easy enough with the bottom cut from a windsurfer mast plus some parts from Hobie & some plastic bits from a hardware shop & a bit of epoxy).

Once you have made the adapter you put the adapter into the AI mast base, the small sail into the adapter and you have a roller furling small sail. You can then sail the AI hull without the akas & amas using the small sail.

IMO using outriggers actually detracts from the enjoyment of sailing because it prevents the boat from leaning to the wind. Managing the lean and avoiding a capsize whilst squeezing that extra bit of speed or ground to windward is part of the skill and enjoyment of a sailing boat which is kind of lost on a boat, like a trimaran, that doesn't lean. I get far more pleasure out of sailing my AI (hull only) with the small sail (and a jib when the conditions are right) than I do out of sailing it as a trimaran with the big sail. I don't go as fast but it is a much more engaging sailing experience.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stobbo wrote:
Managing the lean and avoiding a capsize whilst squeezing that extra bit of speed or ground to windward is part of the skill and enjoyment of a sailing boat which is kind of lost on a boat, like a trimaran, that doesn't lean. I get far more pleasure out of sailing my AI (hull only) with the small sail (and a jib when the conditions are right) than I do out of sailing it as a trimaran with the big sail. I don't go as fast but it is a much more engaging sailing experience.

I agree with you Stobbo. 8)
I sail my AI as an Adventure just as you describe (minus the jib though), a lot more than as a trimaran. I have had some thrilling rides! That's what makes the AI such a versatile craft!
Although for any long distance touring the AI can't be beat. Hiking out can get uncomfortable if you are doing it all day.

BTW- any on water pics yet with your jib?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:00 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

What they said!

The small sail maximizes the on-the-spot versatility of the Adventure. Roll it out for a breeze...

...or furl it instantly to take advantage of the full speed and agility of the Adventure...

...or anywhere in between for more difficult weather:

It hooks right up to the mainsheet for easy operation. Definitely keeps you on your toes when there is a fair breeze for an exciting added dimension to the AI! 8)

Here's a quick and easy how-to from stringy: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=8809&p=68843

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RR

unfortunately the weather here has been too windy for my jib for ages however this WE I think I might be going out with a friend (sheperding him on his 1st kayak sailing outing) & the weather sounds as though it might be v light winds so with a bit of luck I might be able to get him to take some on the water pics. If not you may rest assured that I will be taking some pics to post at the next available opportunity.

It is good to hear that others share my enthusiasm for pleasures of kayak (as opposed to trimaran) sailing !

For the uninitiated I will say again what I have said before: it is worth bearing in mind that because the wind range of the kayak/small sail is so limited you can only really use the sail in ideal conditions; this means that every sailing experience you have is a good one - it is not useable on bad days. If you get a lot of light wind conditions in your area you will be able to get a lot of highly enjoyable sailing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RR, see my post about rigging a jib for some on the water pics taken by a friend of mine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:41 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yes, I've been following your work with interest. The jib looks great! Thanks for the info. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

my solution for a Roller Furling on Standard Sail! ciao H13

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K5wiw5afQA[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Husky I like that easy method. Bought a sail kit last night, will try to duplicate that. Nice job!

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I succeeded at West Marine last night in buying the clamp like Husky's vid. Only thing is, there were four in the pack for $20, I only need one. It comes with bushings to do 7/8 or 1". I tried it on my mast in the store before buying, and it fits great with the bushing. I bought two long ss bolts and the plastic cleat.

-edit... I had to drill out the cleat to make everything come together inline, but its on there now, looks fine, and I hope to give everything an actual field test soon.

If anyone wants one clamp & bushing, I'll mail it to you for a total of $5. Its not the money, I just hate having extra stuff stockpile and get wasted.
:?

One Ocean Storm cedar stripbuilt
2009 Native Ultimate 12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

in the photo attached components for assembly. The two screws must be long enough to take both parts! braid must be connected to plastic bollard
ciao H13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just installed a furling system that is a combination of the Stringy and Husky13 solutions. I use Husky13's cleat-clamp along with Stringy's thrust bearing assembly. This provides for smooth, tangle-free rapid furling while underway.

I can only think of one problem of which I do not have a solution. The thrust bearing assembly slides off the end of the mast when removed from the mast mount hole. In the event of a capsize, the sail could come free and I will most likely lose the thrust bearing to the deep blue. I can't think of any way to secure the thrust bearing without completely eliminating its utility.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next