Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 20 Wings!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK-
We tried triple trap (fun but impractical), the home make spinnaker launcher (also impractical, but being improved), and the EPO rudders. Now I think it is time to play with wings.

You have to remember, I have no racing fleet here in San Diego, so this is all just for fun and they come off fast for real racing. Has anyone experimented with wings? I guess the real question is what part will fail next with the added load. Comptip perhaps, port bow??? Only time will tell. I will bet the rudder pins go and will need to be changed to titanium.

Any other comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are photos of a 20 with wings on one of the other cat sites - I forget which one. Search for "Hobie 20 Magnum" and you should find it.

The results looked pretty promising in the photos and I emailed the owner for a while regarding his approach. I thought about trying it for a while, but in Iowa I've found the wind is either on the low side of fun or on the high side of dangerous. With no middle ground I've delayed the project a while. I was also hoping it would make the 20 more family friendly, but looking long term I'll either go with a used 21SC or Getaway if we stay in Iowa, or something with a lead keel if we make it back to Lake Superior (Duluth). A used Corsair Tri would be great there too, but is definitely out of my budget for the foreseeable future.

H20 #433
Southeast Iowa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hammond,

How'd you install the EPO rudders? I have a set and I've been reluctant to try and install them for lack of a template for drilling the holes in the rudders.

Did you sharpen the trailing edges or anything like that?
Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used the old rudders as a drill guide/template. I lined up the head and the leading edge like it would be in the castings and drilled the lower casting holes. I then placed it in the castings and used the upper casting as a drill guide with a friend helping to eye the drill for alignment purposes. I also lined up the rudder tips as best as possible. Most of the surface lost in on the trailing edge of the old rudder when compared with the new one so if you see some trailing edge when the rudders are lined up at the lower casting hole, that is what I did.

If you are in San Diego near MBYC this summer, take a look at the boat or mark your rudders off of mine.

Post subject: wings
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I evidently have the only H20 Magnum in the country :-) It's 14 years old now (5 yrs on the wings), and holding up well. The biggest issue I think is that you walk on top of the decks a lot more (getting up and down from the wings); I have had some issues with delamination. We sometimes single-hand off the wings, but other than an occassional kid wanting to trap, just don't go out too often. The whole point of the wings was to get righting moment without having to work :-) It's not a race boat anymore. Note that the 18M wings are not rated for more than two adults, either. We've driven it hard (5 adults in 20+), but not trapped out. I don't know what would fail first, but I think it might be the wings themselves. I switched both my boats to SS bolts for rudder pins years ago; much cheaper and stronger IMO. Jsut replace them when they first start to bend. I'd be surprised if it was noticeably faster; the wings add weight and you trap off high; not that much more righting moment. The 20 seems to be limited by bow volume at speed; more righting moment won't help with that. I've crashed a couple of times reaching with normal trap use, and it wasn't because I couldn't keep it flat, it was because I just drove the bow under. Maybe custom wings where you can trap further back...

Anyway, standard 18 M wings fit in between the 20 beams very neatly; back support tube lines up perfectly, but you'll need to make up a new tube/support for the front. You COULD pull them off for racing, and it might be easier/cleaner than doing so on an 18M. The wings are higher than on an 18, so they don't drag when flying a hull upwind or down (great fun for the leeward wing rider when doing the wild thing). Wings also make a great place to mount rod holders. PM me for more details; pics on the beachcats.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There is an album with pictures of a European "Hobie 20 Formula" that has the small wing racks that are available. Only ones I've seen pictures of. I have a Hobie Europe "wing brochure" some place that shows the three kinds of wings available.
http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=35775

Here's another rare bird (has wings, must be a bird!)

A Hobie Tiger with factory wings. (It's for Sale)

Beachcat Wings, don't leave port without them!

www.Catsailor.com
www.TheBeachcats.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

why would you put magnum wings on a tiger euro wings work much better. thats a lot of holes to drill in an expensive boat.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/