Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Barber hauler help
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am new to the H20, and I am curious is to how and when a sailor is to properly or effectively use their barber hauler(probably for reaches or downwind applications, right?). I have heard that some sailors use them, and some don't even bother...and some even use the barber hauler differently as a secondary 1:1 sheet for down wind use for the jib? I guess what I am getting at is...Is the barber hauler really that effective? because if not, I would like to remove some of the spaghetti. What are the racers doing with it? Has it been up dated? Someone, somewhere mentioned running the BH sheeting under the front part of the tramp?
I'm an ex-H18 sailor, and I am having a little trouble understanding what it really does.
I'm not a racer, there is no Hobie fleet up here, but I would like to take advantage of the on board systems that were probably meant to give me as much hull speed as possible. Is this one of them? Whats the scoop?
My boat is a 98'

thanks in advance, guys and gals

Post subject: Re: Barber hauler help
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would say if you're not racing, you don't NEED the barberhauler, but it's still a very effective tool for controlling jib shape offwind. If you are racing, you need it.
The standard jib block system on the 20 allows you to trim the jib very far inboard for upwind sailing. The downside is that the jib blocks alone are very poor at controlling the shape of the jib when sailing offwind (particularly sail twist). Without the barberhaulers, the top 1/2 of the jib will just luff when you ease the sheets to sail on any type of reach. The barberhauler effectively holds the clew of the jib down and out so that the entire sail is trimmed properly. (On the 18, we have to manually do this by having the crew hold the jib out while sailing downwind).

sm

Post subject: Re: Barber hauler help
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for the explanation :wink: