Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Extending beam
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I ask this question because I occasionally sail with guy down on South Padre Isalnd and the wind down there is "sick". Consistently 15k and better. His 20 is dry docked and never trailered. It's not that we want to quiet the boat down from "hull fly happy", which it is in those conditions. We thought of putting extenders to increase the beam to close to 10 feet. Besides a new tramp and some different length shrouds and wires. My question is would the dynamics change enough to have to adjust rudder dimensions among other things, etc? Has anyone ever tried this? I really just want to fly a little higher and faster.

Post subject: Re: Extending beam
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I remember hearing a long time ago when the 20 first came out that the factory built a prototype boat with 10ft beams. Never saw the boat, but I don't see why it couldn't have been done. All they would have needed to do would be to cut the crossbeams, dolphin striker rod and tiller crossbar 1-1/2feet longer, build a wider tramp, and make slightly longer standing rigging. Probably no problem to do at the factory.

But for you to make the changes yourself, I don't see how you'd do it. The biggest issue is where are you going to get 10ft long Hobie 20 crossbars? Extending the existing crossbars doesn't seem practical, feasable, or safe.

On the flip side, there definitely folks that have modified H18 wings to work on the 20. I would think that's a much easier and more reasonable option. Either that or increase your fried chicken/pizza intake and hold 'er down the old fashion way.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could also just get a Toronado. That has a 10 ft beam and the rigging to match.

1992 Hobie Cat 18 #16943
Hobie Fleet 198, Rapid City, SD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The question was dynamics of the existing rudder system? not really alternatives. :) srm, I was thinking more bolt on extensions, using the existing pressure points. The added beam may be too much for the 20> As I've had 3 on the wire before and could feel the stress in weather. I don't think the weak point would be the extensions or where they connect. My guess is that I would need larger rudders to handle the increased load with only one in the water. The way I sail, I feel like I would break something on a tornado everytime I'd sail it. It just doesn't seem right sailing a boat that only outweighs me by 100 pounds in the ocean.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

buzzman2 wrote:
The way I sail, I feel like I would break something on a tornado everytime I'd sail it.

The Tornado is the toughest beachcat made. Seriously. A Tornado will last two Olympic campaigns before it starts getting wobbly. As a comparison if the ISAF chooses to use the Tiger for multi-hull event teams will be burning up two of them per year of training.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
The question was dynamics of the existing rudder system? not really alternatives. srm, I was thinking more bolt on extensions, using the existing pressure points. The added beam may be too much for the 20>

I think the rudder system should be the least of your concerns.

I'd be very interested to see how are you plan to bolt extensions to the crossbars. Are you going to add these extensions to the ends of the crossbars, or cut the crossbars in half and add the extension in the center? Some seriously high loads there and obviously a critical element to the structure of the boat. What are you going to use, aluminum tubing?

A 10 foot beam Hobie 20 sounds like an awesome boat, but honestly, I don't see how you're going to extend the beams. I think the only way to do it would be to use beams that are already the correct length.

sm