Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a pretty nice spinnaker from a Tiger, a sleeved pole, snuffer and bag all for $500 if you want to try. You will have to do some work on your own as this has not been put on a Hobie 20. I am not sure how it will all fit together but is comes from the Formula 18 family. There are no lines or blocks that come with it. All this would be slightly more than $1500 new so for the price not a bad gamble.

Later,
Dan
ddelave "at" aol "dot" com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i am happy to help anyone with questions fitting dan's setup to a 20. i put a tiger spin rig on my 20.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dan,

Just saw your post, just bought a 20 (1995) is you spinnaker kit still available ?

Regards,

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pablonian,

I just finished my first season with my 1997 H20. If you are in the Central US, you ought to hook up with Divisions 14 and 7. Both have very active 20 fleets. I attended 4 Division 14 regattas this summer and had a blast. I live in Shreveport, LA, most of the other 20 sailors I've raced with are from Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Kansas. As for the spinnaker, I think that would be a fun ride. However, before you spend a bunch of bucks on one, keep in mind that a spinnaker isn't legal for class racing. As far as I know, there's nothing from stopping you from flying a spinnaker in open multihull regattas.

If you are in either region, these websites will get you started:

http://www.hobiecatdivision7.org/

http://www.hca-na.org/ Put your cursor over the "contacts" tab then click on "division contacts" and scoll down to find links to all the division web sites.

The best way to learn about Hobie sailing and particularly racing is to get involved. The forums are great but the face to face and hands on discussions that you'll get with other Hobie sailors at regattas and other events will prove to be invaluable to your progression.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We are up in Canada 'A',
In the Niagara Region, Toronto is just on the other side of the lake.
Thanks for the info, I had noticed that 20's were not using spinnaker, however for now we just want to sail fast, not sure where the H20 is going to take us, but we shall see. I currently own a Kirby 25 and we have 10 of them at our club with a very active fleet with regatta's reaching 16 boats. But now I'm now about to travel to the other side! (multi-hull) We are still going to race the kirby next year, but we are really looking forward to H20. My friend and I bought the H20 together, the boat is in excellent condition, very lightly used and stored indoors. The other half owner owned a H16 years ago, I was brought up racing 470's fireballs, lasers and have recently been racing the k25 15 years. Any ways we are interested in putting a spin on it, if we can find something on the cheap. We will be sailing it on both lake Ontario and lake Erie. Hopefully we make a trip down to an M20 Regatta in the US to meet the people, have some fun and learn some technique.

Thanks for the reply, any info about the H20 would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Pablo & Charlie