Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Sailors

Writing from the cold north in Europe, Denmark. Have found this messageboard as the most relevant and want to raise a few questions with regards to buying a Hobie F20 from 1994.

a) first of all this F20 model isnt well known here in DK and I havent been able to find any specfications on this model in EU. Anybody with a good link ? Is a Hobie F20 and a Hobie Miracle F20 the same boat ?

b) A few year ago I sold my Hobie 18 Formula, and now its time to sail again. Have found a Hobie F20 from 1994 for a price ~5600 USD. Of damages to mention (10cm hole in the trampoline, Spinnaker broken cant be used but the hulls, sails and rigging seems in good conditions) Is this a fair price ?

c) Anything I should be aware of (weak areas, this model) ?

Sorry for the questions, but havent any other guys to ask.

Kind Regards

Flop from DK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Flop:

I think you may be out of luck asking this forum about this boat. I think that the boat you are looking at is a Hobie Fox (http://www.hobie-cat.net/site_gb/?produits,hobie_fox) made in France. Inverted bows and a spinnaker? That is a class of Formula 20s. Not the same boat as a Miracle. They are really popular in Europe but the only ones that are really active in the US are Inter 20s.

There was a really nice group of them in CA for a while. Six total I think. I sailed on them a bit. They are a really good boat for bigger guys. I was able to crew on one at over 400lbs total crew weight and win. It floats really well and is pretty fast downwind with the chute up.

I think that the guys here put it through its paces and there was not major problem with the boat if there was no boat contact. Seems to be built well. There was an agreement to get all the sailors on the same boat and the Tiger was picked. Now we have about 28 boats in the area including all Formula 18s. At most regattas we will get between 10 and 18 on the line.

If you can use a boat like the Fox I think that 5600 US is a great price! I do not know of any that sold that cheap around here. I think the lowest amount was around 8000 US. Most of them were in pretty good shape. You can probably find a used spinnaker or get one made for not too much (800 US). Why are you not getting back into the Formula 18s?

Later,
Dan
DDelave "@" aol.com

Post subject: Buyers Guide
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Found this on the web:

http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran.asp