Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings,

I've have h20 for a few years, but due to a fatherhood - it has been collectiong dust and bird droppings at a local lake. With a bit more time in my hand, I want to sail it again, but my main is in bad shape. My daggerboards are also in bad shape.

I looked through throught the catalog but didn't find any references to h20, let alone its main and daggerboards. Wind out here is very erradict, so a nice square tip sail is probably not a good idea (I sail it single hand most of the time - my 250 pounds comes in handy).

So, any ideas where I may find a new main and baggerboards?

On a different note, for those of you who sail solo, have you been able to sail it w/o a jib?

thanks,

Pedro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A couple years ago I bought an old neglected H20 and with a lot of elbow grease and money I've turned it into a great boat. This past spring I replaced my main and jib. You can order new H20 sails from any Hobie dealer. The standard main is solid white, but for about $300 more you can have them make a custom sail of your own design, choosing from several different colors. I would only buy sails through Hobie, otherwise, your boat won't be legal for class racing. Don't eliminate yourself from the most fun racing there is. Even if you aren't interested in racing, should you decide to sell your boat one day, it will appeal to more potential buyers if you have class legal sails and should demand higher resale value. Here's an interesting sidenote: Hobie contracts H20 sail production to Whirlwind sails in San Diego. They build a great sail and are the only factory-authorized class legal H20 sail maker. But you've got to order them through a Hobie dealer. I ordered mine through Mariner Sails in Dallas, http://www.mariner-sails.com. I'd post a picture of my new sails but I'd have to review the process and I'm a little short on time tonight.

Some people will tell you to never sail a H20 solo because the boat is overpowered and you can't right it by yourself. I've taken mine out solo when the winds are light and had a lot of fun. But only if the wind velocity is in the single digits. Furling the jib is a good option if it starts blowing too hard. You'll feel a lot of weather helm and the boat will be more difficult to tack, but it's no big deal. Just know how to reverse the rudders to get out of irons if you start blowing backwards. At our club in Shreveport we had a spring regatta in which the wind was blowing 25 easily. Me and my skinny crew (no Scuzzlebutt, I'm not referring to you) were double trapped with the jib furled. It was still fun.

Get that boat back in the water and join the racing scene! I'm in the learning phase and sail in the back of the pack but nevertheless, it's a lot of fun. It's not necessarily about winning at this stage, it's about improving. The first time you pull off a great start or beat a veteran to the weather mark will be memorable events and will make you hungry to come back for more.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28