Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hobie 20 vs 18
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sailed a 16 for about 10 years then an 18 for almost ten. my 18 was just destroyed in a storm (no insurance). I race every weekend and another club member who bought a 20 last season asked if i would like to buy his 20 or race it with him.
I loved the 16 and the 18 and I'm sure I would love the 20.
I'm wondering about the differences inhow the 20 sails compared to the 16 and 18, obviously it's faster overall than both but i have only sailed a 20 twice and never raced one. the only time I skippered was this past sunday in wind 26 gusting to 36+ knots and that was pure survival (but still fun).
Does it go higher upwind or farther out but faster? what about downwind and reaching?
ken

Post subject: Re: hobie 20 vs 18
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

vbken wrote:
the only time I skippered was this past sunday in wind 26 gusting to 36+ knots and that was pure survival (but still fun).ken

Ken, you're an animal...get a 20

Post subject: Re: hobie 20 vs 18
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 20 is a much more "heads up" boat than the 18. The skipper and crew really have to be on their toes in any breeze over about 15mph. It's not the kind of boat that you can just grab a crew off the beach and expect to have racing success. There are quite a few more controls and the crew is always busy. The reward of such a demanding boat is vastly improved performance. The 20 will outpace the 18 in all conditions and on all points of sail. There really is no comparison. The 18 is a cadillac, the 20 is a corvette.

I've sailed and raced both boats extensively. They're both great. I'm back on the 18 now because the 20 racing scene in my area is dead while the 18s are holding steady if not growing. But there is definitely a place in my heart for the 20. Racing a 20 downwind in about 18 to 20 mph doing the wildthing is a total blast.

sm