Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are two videos I took over the last few weeks while sailing here in Winter Park, FL. Kind of a small lake and its very gusty but still a great time.

The first video is of a friend and I in 25+ gusts. We got helmets after this day.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUB2b4zG-2A&hd=1[/youtube]

The second I made today after solo riding for a couple hours. The camera only recorded the first hour and I cut it up. Tried a couple different angles for this one.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB7KuJNwdiY&hd=1[/youtube]

Let me know what you think and what I'm doing wrong. We just sail for fun so its mostly about pushing the boat rather then speed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dude, those videos are awsome! 2011 will be my third year of sailing the H20 after a 25-year hiatus from sailing, so consider my experience level regardng these comments. I couldn't see enough detail about your rigging to give much feedback on that. I think your trapeze form, you and the crew, looks very good - level with the deck and straight out. Some of your tacks were very quick so you've obviously got a good handle on that. The capsize scenes particularly make this a good training video. Wish I'd seen it before my pitchpole at Mid-Winters East last year in Mississippi. After we righted it, we didn't grab the weather hull quickly enough and the wind blew her right back over. You guys came close to having that happen on the first video but were on top if it fast enough to prevent the dreaded double capsize. I can't wait to forward this to my crew. On the other hand maybe I shouldn't . . . if he shows up wearing a helmet I'll know why. Keep the videos coming! Great quality.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Last edited by MVD on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Can you post some photos of the camera attached to your boat? I'd like to see how you secure it.

Thanks

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That video is the funniest sailing video I've seen in a while!!! Nice backflip onto the jib at the end!! Helmets? I think you guys need hockey pads !! Nice work!

I love these calm moments before the storm, it reminds me of Beethoven...

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MVD wrote:
Dude, those videos are awsome! 2011 will be my third year of sailing the H20 after a 25-year hiatus from sailing, so consider my experience level regardng these comments. I couldn't see enough detail about your rigging to give much feedback on that. I think your trapeze form, you and the crew, looks very good - level with the deck and straight out. Some of your tacks were very quick so you've obviously got a good handle on that. The capsize seens particularly make this a good training video. Wish I'd seen it before my pitchpole at Mid-Winters East last year in Mississippi. After we righted it, we didn't grab the weather hull quickly enough and the wind blew her right back over. You guys came close to having that happen on the first video but were on top if it fast enough to prevent the dreaded double capsize. I can't wait to forward this to my crew. On the other hand maybe I shouldn't . . . if he shows up wearing a helmet I'll know why. Keep the videos coming! Great quality.

Thanks Man! I used to race monoslugs a bit as a kid but just got back into sailing last summer after almost 10 years out of the game. I love the hobie 20, what a awesome boat. I know the double capsize well, its happened a couple of times and is never fun. Twice we de-masted, those days were a little rough.

Thanks for the comments on our sailing, none of my friends have sailed before so I've been trying to impart old knowledge and whatever I can find online. We are having a hell of a time though

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MVD wrote:
Can you post some photos of the camera attached to your boat? I'd like to see how you secure it.

Thanks

I will get some pictures next time. The first video is with a suction cup mount that came with the motorsport version of the camera. The second video is a combination of suction cup and secured mounts that are also included with the camera.

Its a GoPro hero cam and it is awesome. Especially for $269 including the mounts.

I also tried to make a rig that's suspended out of the front bridles but I couldn't get it out far enough to get both tips in the shot without making it very bounce. The end of a spinnaker pole might be perfect. Sounds like a good excuse.

Anywhere know where I can find a decent midpole/snuffer setup w/ sail?

Last edited by Reefingbuddha on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tallguy1 wrote:
That video is the funniest sailing video I've seen in a while!!! Nice backflip onto the jib at the end!! Helmets? I think you guys need hockey pads !! Nice work!

Hahaha. Its the failures that really make the videos. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like you could use a lot more downhaul tension (based on the distance from the tack grommet to the gooseneck and the pocket formed in the luff of the mainsail). You should crank on the downhaul when it's windy (pull it down to the black band if necessary). Doing so will really help to settle the boat. If you have an experienced crew, they can acutally play the downhaul from the trap so that you don't have to adjust the mainsheet so much.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can not view the clips. There is a small box with a RED X in in it. Any helput there? This also occurs with other posts and videos an pictures also. Jim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
Looks like you could use a lot more downhaul tension (based on the distance from the tack grommet to the gooseneck and the pocket formed in the luff of the mainsail). You should crank on the downhaul when it's windy (pull it down to the black band if necessary). Doing so will really help to settle the boat. If you have an experienced crew, they can acutally play the downhaul from the trap so that you don't have to adjust the mainsheet so much.

sm

Thank you sm, that's some great advice. I bought the boat used and haven't been able to find any other hobie 20 sailors around so tuning has been all trial and error. I appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

HOBIE 911 wrote:
I can not view the clips. There is a small box with a RED X in in it. Any helput there? This also occurs with other posts and videos an pictures also. Jim

Sorry man, not sure. It could be a browser or plugin problem. Not sure what browser your using put the newest version of firefox, safari, explorer, or chrome might fix your problem.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks fun! Our lake is solid right now :(

a little de-powering when its windy will make the boat much easier to sail.
Travel out the main. I am almost always traveled out 4-6 inches. Crank tight and steer through the puff.
Downhaul. Have your crew crank the downhaul as the haul lifts.This will bend the mast and spill air off the top. when your through the puff release the tension and it will power back up. My daughter is on the trap with the jib sheet in one hand and the downhaul in the other.

You can "Tame the Beast" a little more....
If you haven't already, rake the mast back a bit by adding a chain plate to the top of your forestay.

I can't wait to get sailing again! winter sucks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hobieandy wrote:
Looks fun! Our lake is solid right now :(

a little de-powering when its windy will make the boat much easier to sail.
Travel out the main. I am almost always traveled out 4-6 inches. Crank tight and steer through the puff.
Downhaul. Have your crew crank the downhaul as the haul lifts.This will bend the mast and spill air off the top. when your through the puff release the tension and it will power back up. My daughter is on the trap with the jib sheet in one hand and the downhaul in the other.

You can "Tame the Beast" a little more....
If you haven't already, rake the mast back a bit by adding a chain plate to the top of your forestay.

I can't wait to get sailing again! winter sucks!

Still ice on the lake? Bummer, guess that's one benefit to Florida. I went sailing Christmas Day!

Thanks for the advice on the downhaul. I will try that next time I'm out. Chain plate on the fore-stay? Would your mind elaborating?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

we use a chain plate at the mast tang attached to the forestay about three holes down. It adds about 3 inches to the forestay. Be sure to take up the slack in the side stays and your mast and sail plan will move aft. This will de-power the boat a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobieandy wrote:
we use a chain plate at the mast tang attached to the forestay about three holes down. It adds about 3 inches to the forestay. Be sure to take up the slack in the side stays and your mast and sail plan will move aft. This will de-power the boat a bit.
aka "seven hole adjuster"
This was the single most important addition to our 20.