Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Finally! After re-glass and gelcoat on the bottom, new standing rigging, new dolphin striker post, (big thanks to the guys at Mariner Sails for all the help on that part) replacing all the cam cleats, tightening up the rudders and sanding and polishing the hulls we finally got the boat back in the water. Launched from Leeside park on Santa Rosa Island and headed West through the Sound, just after we launched the wind decided to make a slow agonizing shift around to the south. 45 minutes after pushing off the shore we were sitting still as the wind was confused about which direction it wanted to blow from.
We decided to head back east into Choctawhatchee Bay and see if we would have better luck there. Going under the Brooks bridge was a blast, we were on a screaming reach and I was holding onto the trapeze wires for dear life as I swished the rudders back and forth determined to make headway against the current. Nothing was gonna deter me from having fun after almost four months of being off the water. I actually considered whether I made a mistake by not bringing along my Stihl BR600 backpack blower, if it'll move bricks it'll certainly move the boat.
45 minutes later we were back in the bay and I was eyeballing a fleet of monohulls flying spins about a mile ahead of us. Their had to be wind out there somewhere, 5 minutes later we found it, the shift from north to south had finished and we had a great southerly wind for the rest of the afternoon it's too bad it had to end.
The boat sailed great we had no issues, all the careful work and meticulous adjusting paid off more than I could have wished. Unfortunately this week and next weekend are out of the question for sailing because of work but after that we're ready to go!

1999 Hobie 20, Sail #1005
2001 Hobie 16, "Spirit of 76 sails" #18515. Sold
1981 Hobie 18, Dead!