Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast raising on a 20
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, Folks. Just recently got a miracle 20 and wonder if anyone has come up with a simple way to mechanically aid mast raising with a side-stepping mast?

Post subject: Winch
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Todd

My mast is step sideways on my 17. You can always hook the trap wire to the winch hook and have someone winch it while you raise it. I do this when the wind is really blowing.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You'll need a winch mounted on the mast support. Put it 3.5 feet up the support so the line won't bind when you start to step the mast. You may want to reinforce the mast support with some steel bar so all the stress isn't all on the weld at the base. You'll also need someone on the tramp to raise it a few feet to get the lift started. After that they'll need to make sure it doesn't swing to port or starboard. An alternate to this is to tie the trap lines to the sides of the trailer to act as a preventer.

Put a carabiner on the winch line. You can snap it on to the plate that connects the forestay with the bridle wires. I wouldn't trust the trap lines to support the mast. It's longer and heavier than a 17 mast.

If you're going to step the mast solo then you'll need one more piece of equipment. Get a tripod that has a extendable pole with a mast support on the top. You'll want to get the top of the mast as high as possible off the ground before winching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

with two people this works well. I have installed a turning block near the top of my front mast support (this increases the angle of lift on the mast). the winch line runs thru this block and is then connected to the trap wire or wires on one side (this keeps the mast sideways) you can use one or both of the trap wires (I have seen it done both ways and have done both)

My wife/crew holds the top of the mast while I start cranking the winch till the mast is as high as her arms allow. I move to the tramp and keep the mast from moving from side to side while my wife/crew cranks the winch the remainder of the way up. by using the trap wires the forstay is easily attached to the bow's while the mast is still held upright by the winch and trap wires.

this method appears to me to be the safest and easiest way

have fun contact me if you need more info :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The method the Tom explains is exactly the way I used to raise my 20 mast and still use raising the Tiger mast.

Dan

Post subject: mast raising
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks folks. I had assumed that, since the trap wires were attached to the forward facing mast hound like everything else, that pulling on them would just rotate the mast facing up. Are you wrapping the trap lines around the mast first (bringing the port side around the back of the mast to the starboard side and then forward), or just using human power to keep the mast facing sideways?
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

no the trap lines are run just as they are attached to the mast and they will keep the mast sideways. human power is just to keep the mast centered on the boat and to assist the winching person by lifting/pushing the mast foreward as it is being raised or in reverse lowered. :D

Most of the 20's in my division (14) raise and lower their mast's this way.