Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ok to stay on the dolly?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Im lucky enough to have a sandy beach with mast up storage for the summer. No easy feat lifting the bows of this thing to get the dolly under it every time I sail. I have the Cat Trax with carpeted cradles - any issue with leaving the boat sitting on the dolly for the summer?

Thanks,
JDM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As long as the dolly has cradles, it would be no different than leaving the boat on a trailer. I'd probably just roll the wheels back so they're under the rear crossbar or move them forward near the bow so the boat sits stable on the ground.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would line them up just forward of the front cross bar so any water that may get inside would drain back. I would put old mats under the aft part of the hulls that are in touch with the sand and secure it with a bungie cord. That gel coat comes off so easy and sand is just so abrasive. ( If your 20 is on the beach a bottom job or reapplying gelcoat is just a matter of when ) Everyone is more careful with your hulls after a bottom job, especially if you do it yourself. The spot they seem to wear down first is just fore and aft of the dagger wells.

When I would come in from the Atlantic and hit the beach. I would let the surf take me as far as it would take me in , then run up get the beach wheels and lift the front of one hull to get it started in a cradle and sort of scoot it down, moving it like six inches at a time on each hull, holding onto a 6 ft. line I had attached to the dolphin striker to pull against and doing a single leg press against the cat trax axle. I would push it back just as far a I could to comfortably pick up the boat at the rear cross bar. Then I disconnect my tiller cross bar and get that out of the way, pick up the back end, pull my main in and literally use the wind to go 40 yards up hill on a fast walk to the edge of the dunes out of tides way uncleating the main and turning slightly into the wind when I wanted to stop. When you single hand as much as I do you figure this stuff out. This works great in the Atlantic with a SE wind.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks! I only have 10 yards or so up the beach, but like the idea of using the main for help.

Jim