Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast rotation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ok - been out 6 times now, and making steady progress with this thing; with plenty of credit you all of you for answering my questions. Im struggling a bit with a problem I can't find anyone else mentioning after a seach here. My boat is set up with a rotator arm at the mast base which I understand. But there is an additional bar that attaches at the same point at the base of the mast that sits forward of the mast - that also controls rotation. Prior owner told me he never used it. I'd love to remove it, because all it seems to do is serve to tangle the jib sheets on every tack. Any reason I can't remove it altogether?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Mast rotation
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a positive mast rotator. There are probably cleats on the front crossbar that allow you to connect lines to this extra bar and pull the mast into rotation. It is not a stock setup. I would definitely remove it because of the tangle issues you're having. A much better system is to use a bungee bridle connected between the bow tangs and which connects to the stock rotator bar. The bungee systems are self-tacking and completely automatic. Also, if you're not racing, you really don't need a positive mast rotator at all.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That explains what those extra cleats on the front crossbar are for! Im going to remove it just to get rid of the hassle of the jib sheets tangling. While I have you; how much adjusting do you do on the negative control? I was told give it a few inches on either side (allow the bar to point at each rudder and no further) Does that sound right - or do you adjust it all the time?

Thanks again for your help.

JDM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jdm wrote:
Im going to remove it just to get rid of the hassle of the jib sheets tangling. While I have you; how much adjusting do you do on the negative control? I was told give it a few inches on either side (allow the bar to point at each rudder and no further) Does that sound right - or do you adjust it all the time?

Thanks again for your help.

JDM
jib sheet tangle preventer is a piece of bungee tied to the striker rod on one side, routed up through the diamond wires and back down and tied off on the striker rod, on the opposite side

Mast rotator typically points at the shrouds (side stays) upwind. The more you need to de-power you can start pointing it further aft. I wouldn't go past pointing at the rear beam.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for that. Will make both those changes this weekend. The bungee idea is a great one; the jib sheet was finding its way under the mast at every tack.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another way of doing the tangle preventer is to tie a bungee from the jib tack fitting (the metal flapper thing at the bottom of the forestay) to the diamond wire turnbuckle. It will achieve the same thing.

For the rotator, you also want to fully release it when sailing dowiwind. For upwind, aimed between the shroud and the corner of the rear crossbar is about right.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to you both - big help. I've searched around on here and need a simple solution to something related; The rotation bar has worn a hole thru my tramp. I read about the wrinklie tube in a few posts and see it on most 20 pictures I looked at. Is the sole purpose of the the tube to lift the bar up off the tramp? any ideas on the diameter of the PVC and how to rig it?

thanks again,
JDM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The purpose of the tube is to hold the rotator bar in a fixed up/down position. It is necessary when using a bungee positive mast rotation system which leads to the bridle tangs because the force on the bungee will try to lift the rotator bar.

On our boat we screwed an eyestrap to the mast track just below the gooseneck fitting. Then tie one end of the tube to the rotator bar and the other end to the eye strap. I think it was like 3/4" OD PVC tubing.

sm