Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone know the class rules regarding adding a second access port up front of the front crossbar on the Hobie 20. I want to improve ventilation of the front of hull, but keep it class legal. The 14 class rules state you can put up to two ports per hull, but nothing specific on the 20 class rules.

Thanks,
Paul

Post subject: Rules?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:56 am 
Site Admin

I am not aware of any rules related to installing ports.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Rules?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
I am not aware of any rules related to installing ports.

Probably just the general rule of "nothing to affect the structural strength or safety of the boat", i.e. don't put 40 ports and not expect the hulls to break into 41 nice neat pieces :)

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I emailed IHCA Rules committe, bad news!!! Now how am I to get the front of hulls dried out?
-----------------------------

Erik Olsen <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Paul,

The extra inspection ports as mentioned would be illegal. General class rule 4 applies.

Best regards

Erik Olsen
IHCA Rules Committee Chair
Mobile: +45 2577 8801

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 4:46 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: Hobie 20 Inspection Ports

Dear Mal and Erik:

I have a question regarding adding a second inspection port on the Hobie 20 in front of the front crossbar. I want to improve ventilation on a 2001 that weighs heavy, may have had some water sitting in there for a while. Is this class legal to add a second port in the top of the hull up front?

The 14 rules say you can have up to two ports per hull, the 20 rules dont talk about inspection ports.

thanks for any help.

Paul

Post subject: Aft maybe?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

How about just aft of the forward crossbar? You can cut out a bigger breather hole in the forward bulkhead.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You should petition the IHCA to have additional ports on the 20 added to the rules. Why do the Wave, 14, 16 and 17 have it written in and the 20 and other boats don't? Ports won't modify the performance of the boat. Does H20 Rule 2 mean that the structural integrity of the hull(s) will be reduced to the point that there could be a catastrophic failure?

As for Rule 4, you're not trying to find a loophole. All you're asking for is a way to repair your boat. You might also poll the Hobie and catsailor.com boards to see how many 20s have already been modified with additional ports.

If you do get the rule added, think about placing the ports closer to the dagger board trunks in case you need to repair them.

If you’re unable to get the rule added you might try to fish a flexible hose through the existing port and extend it as far forward as possible. Hook up a vacuum cleaner to push warm air into the hulls to dry them out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for your help Matt and 1616-

I don't quite understand either why its perfectly legal to have two ports on a 14, 16, and 17, but not the other boats. I'm obviously not going to gain an advantage in boatspeed from the port other than rid some extra water weight, and its not a loophole. All boats weigh in at national events with a minimum, and my 2001 H20 has been around 30 lbs over.

There is a full barrier behind the daggerboard area from top to bottom of hull with only a small hole at very bottom for water to drain fore and aft. Matt would know the construction of the hull, and the isolation between rear of the daggerboard, and forward of the daggerboard. I'm blowing some nice warm air into the rear access port behind the rear crossbar, which is great for everything behind the daggerboard, but forward of that, it is not getting any of that air. I don't think you could snake a tube thru that little hole, go around the daggerbaord case, plus be able to move much air thru there.

I'm tempted to petition the IHCA for a rule change, but I know that's a big deal, and if Im the only one interested in this, it will be a big fight.

Thanks again, if anyone else wants to help me petition the Rules Committie let me know. Im just trying air out a boat better. The front of that boat would take a small 4" port half way up the front half of hull, without any problems. I had a small delamination on the deck, and had to inject expoxy last year to fix it. Im sure it's a water issue.

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bommer wrote:
There is a full barrier behind the daggerboard area from top to bottom of hull with only a small hole at very bottom for water to drain fore and aft. Matt would know the construction of the hull, and the isolation between rear of the daggerboard, and forward of the daggerboard.
I didn’t know that. I guess that blows (pun) my vacuum cleaner idea out of the water. Matt’s idea about adding a port and opening a hole in the bulkhead appears to be the best solution. Maybe Matt can use his connections to get the ball rolling for a rule change.

Quote:
I'm tempted to petition the IHCA for a rule change, but I know that's a big deal, and if Im the only one interested in this, it will be a big fight.
Take a look through previous posts for the 20. There was a rule change for the main traveler cleat. Maybe contact Matt Bounds to see what the process is. My 20 is new enough that I don’t need the port but I’ll add my name to any petition and vote.

Post subject: Inspection Ports
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt Miller- Can you tell me where the foam blocks (or block) is located on the Hobie 20 front of the hull (how far back from bow)? If I do go ahead with the 4" port, I'd prefer it not be directly above one the the floation blocks. Any help with this petitioning for a rule change would be appreciated. I will be asking for the change in the name of boat maintenance.

I'll get ahold of Matt Bounds, I sailed with him last week-end at 14 Nationals. He might be able to help with the petitioning as well.

Thanks Again!
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Paul,

Cite the ammendments to the International 14, 16, 17 & 18 Class approved 1st March 2001.

Design features and Changes Rule 9.4

Water tight deck access portholes may be installed

http://www.sailing.org/rating/Hobie.pdf#search=%22hobie%2014%20hulls%22

Coincedentally read this yesterday while searching for 14 info.

Hope your boat loses a few pounds on the long drive down. Figured we'd be looking for those adding water to make minimum, not the other way around:shock: :lol:
Safe trip. See you this weekend. :)

Post subject: H20 - inside the bow?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

H20 - inside the bow?

The foam block is a "Sub Deck" glued into the bow for additional stiffness. The foam is about 2.5" thick and spans the width of the hull and 8 feet long. It starts just ahead of the bulkhead dircetly below the front crossbar. The top of the foam is about 12" below the deck and ends just at about the bridle tang.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt M.,

As you have an inside view of the 20 hulls, where do you recommend installing a second set of ports?

TIA

Post subject: hobie 20 ports
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you think anyone will really say anything about extra ports? It would have to be protested right? I seriously doubt that ant RC or other racer for that matter would ever protest over a few ports that were installed to do a repair. We just put a few ports in a 20 here in SC to do a hull repair. We also did another repair where we hole sawed a 6" hole to get inside, then glued the piece back in. That's a possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Back when I sailed the H20, I installed a 5" port just aft of the main beam and opened up the breather hole in the bulhead using a 3" hole saw. It worked just fine and added a storage area!

Bob :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:11 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
most of our 20's have added the forward ports, just do it, the idea is to get everyone doing it them there is no prob!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers