Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New (to me) H20
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am the proud owner of a used H20, haven't even picked it up. Coming off an H18. After an exhaustive search, I found the H18 performance manual and love all the settings for different weights, wind, and waves. I've seen the setup guide in the back of the manual as well as Cat Racing for the 90s. Is there a book like the performance manual for the 20? We typically sail and race REAL heavy, around 425#, but occasionally my wife comes and we sail lighter, around 330#. I'd love to have a couple of quick changes to adjust between my heavy racing crew and my lighter, "just getting some sun" crew who doesn't like to turn if the sun ends up behind the sail. She's not really into the trapping thing unless I figure a way to rig a lawn chair to the trap wire. Any suggestions?

Question 2
Should I hang on to the 18 (makes wife angry) for leisurely sailing with the wife and a 2 yr old, or can I keep the 20 down by downhauling and travelling out for a nice leisurely sail? (Capsizing makes wife angry, too.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As I recall there is a H20 tuning guide in the back of the Hobie University handout that can be downloaded from the Hobie Class Association North America website (www.hca-na.org). You can find it under the "Training" header on the site.

Jason Moore
H20 ADDICTION

Post subject: Re: New (to me) H20
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cjacosta wrote:
Question 2
Should I hang on to the 18 (makes wife angry) for leisurely sailing with the wife and a 2 yr old, or can I keep the 20 down by downhauling and travelling out for a nice leisurely sail? (Capsizing makes wife angry, too.)

IMO...keep the 18!!! No better cruiser/leisure boat has been made.
The 20 is a performance racing machine.

Post subject: New to H20
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sold my H18 last year and traded for a H20. The H20 is much nicer - everything is smoother (esp. the traveller), the ride is much better, drier, much faster and far more responsive. Overall, it is a much nicer ride than the H18. But....it is a performance machine and care needs to be taken when sailing it. It is easy to get out of control, so focus and stay on your game in high winds. I have found it harder to right after flipping (esp with a light crew (325#)) than the 18 is, (so try not to dump) and ease off a bit in high winds with a light crew. It's like comparing a Chevy Suburban with a Corvette. Definately read the Hobie Univ. pdf - it's really good. Have fun with it. :D

H20 CATchme

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may want to consider getting a roller furling kit for the H-20 jib if the boat doesn't already have one. This would be a good way to help settle the boat down if you need when you're sailing with the family.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You can also just leave the jib in the sail box and sail the H20 like a big H17. I know what you are thinking now - leave the family on the beach and just go out by yourself, but keep in mind that you won't be able to right it solo unless you are really heavy.
Jason Moore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think the H20 easier to right than an H18. I can almost right it myself at 220 lbs. My wife leans back from the dolphin striker with me on the righting line and it pops right up. The hard part is getting back up on the boat since it rides higher in the water. We used to sail a H18 and it was always a lot of work to get it righted. Don't get a fancy righting line system because you can't get a good angle to pull if the line comes out from under the top hull. The righting line needs to go over the top hull to get the proper angle. The stock line that stows in the tramp pocket and ties to the dolphin striker post works great.

The H20 is a great boat to sail, and it is a trapezing boat. You'll be able to double trap in 15 with 425 on board. It is a performance boat, but it is possible to depower quite a bit. I personally don't think the boat sails worth crap without a jib, but if you are just going for a leisurely sail that would work. The added bonus is your wife won't have to get out of the lawn chair to trim the jib.

Rake the mast back so the shrouds are in the 3rd hole from the bottom, and adjust the forestay so the rig is tight, but mast still rotates. You might need an adjuster to lengthen the forestay if the boat doesn't come with one. I use a 7 hole adjuster on the top end. Rake the spreaders back so there is about a 2" gap between a straight edge across the back of the spreaders and the luff track.
For the heavy crew, loosen the diamond wires to about 30 on a Loos gauge and downhaul lightly.
For light crew, depower by tightening the diamond wires to about 50 on the Loos and downhaul to the boom. Point the rotator at the rear corner and travel the main out 6" to 12". It'll be boring but controllable.

Enjoy the smooth ride.