Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can you guys tell me if I have to drill out the rivets on the end caps, or if there is a way to reinstall a new traveler without drilling. I assume that I have to back out the hex head bolts near the ends of the track. Any guidance would be really helpful. could also use some help with the ball bearing install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

we did this last year. you need to drill out the rivets, pry off the end cap, and then remove the bolt that attaches the cross bar to the hull. if you open the inspection port you should be able to reach in with a box wrench and hold the nut on the inside of the hull. once you get it out you can slide on the traveler. we bought a new one which had a plastic stopper that held the bearings in place, and you just place it flush with the end fo the cross bar and slide the traveler off of the plastic stop and onto the track. if you are replacing the bearing from an old traveler this could be more difficult. good luck! seth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We did it last year too, just the way Seth said. What a pain in the ass it was. We also had to reload bearing in to it the car. That sucked even worse.
Its funny how fixing somethings on these boats is easy and most of the time pretty fun. Then there are times when fixing these boats is hard and no any fun at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a Harken tool for loading the bearings. It makes the job a lot easier.

Why use a hammer when I can just add more duct tape?

Post subject: Thanks alot..
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey I appreciate the advice, I am waiting for the new bearings to come in b4 I tackle it, all the advice will be really helpful. I guess I tied the main sheet line off too long, allowed the excessive travel..thanks again, Mel

Post subject: Bearings
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:40 am 
Site Admin

Loading the bearings in the car requires a "Loader":

http://www.harken.com/pdf/4500.pdf

Once the bearings are in the car you simply line up the "loader" with the end of the track and roll the car on.

http://www.harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/ ... Z56LC4SCO2

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: traveler car
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You CAN install it without taking the boat apart, but it's a pain. Start by holding the new traveler over a shoebox and unscrewing the end caps. Make sure all the ball bearings come out (think the parts manual says how many, but you better have an even number!)

Wad up tissue paper in the rear beam "valleys" about a foot apart. This way if a ball gets loose (and they will) it won't get lost. Place the car on the beam, then reinstall ONE end cap. Grab your shoe box and carefully start feeding AND COUNTING the ball bearings into each side; you want the same total number on each side... A small punch/screwdriver/twig helps. The last 2-3 on each side will be tricky, and the last 1-2 will have to go in the end cap. Can try a little drop of dish soap to help hold 'em in place. Screw the end cap on, and there ya go.