Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Self Tacker
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone played with the idea of a self tacker on the 20. I am thinking of trying it, but need the curved jib track. I'm thinking the Nacra I-20 track may be close, but I haven't checked it yet. This curve is critical to making the track work right. I am also playing with the idea of a bigger square top main. Turbo 20, what do you think?

Post subject: Look out!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 am 
Site Admin

Uh oh... Mike is having another "ideas" episode!

:)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike:

I like that you are willing to spend money on new ideas! Seems as though it could get expensive though. Self tacking jib track may run about $400. New jib about $400. Fat head main may be $1500. That is close to $2500 with tax. Do you think the whole boat is worth that? Let's say that your boat is worth $3000 and the upgrades cost $2500. You are $5500 closer to getting a new or used Tiger!

The concern that I would have by changing the sail plan is that the balance of the boat will change. You are moving a lot of sail area behind the daggerboards which are barely big enough for the boat right now. I think you may be inducing too much helm with a setup like that.

I know that you love the 20 but you need to consider the Tiger. The Tiger platform actually holds more weight. It will be balanced with the sail plan the way you are suggesting for the 20. You will have a chute to use that works a bit better than the one you put on the 20 as well.

Another plus is that if you have a Tiger you may be tempted to come and race a bit more often. There are plenty of races in your area so you will not have to go out of town and still race about 5 times more than you do now.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The last thing I'd want to do on the overpowered monster aka the Miracle 20 is take my down low power from the overlapping jib and move it to the top of the mast. We are usually searching for ways to depower very early.

I'm with Dan, Mike it sounds like you want a Tiger...but, will your EPO's work on the Tiger? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The self tacker is the first challenge, well second, after the lo-tech apple bottom spinnaker snuffer.

The move to the self tacker is to clear the deck. Better for taking the kids and wife along for rides.

The loss in jib overlap will be made up for with more jib foot, or so my thinking goes. If this doesn't kill the boat's balance beyond rudder rake adjustment and mast rake, then the square top main may be next.

$2500 is not a big investment compared to $15,000 for an all up Tiger with trailer.

Unlike the rudders, I would never dream of these changes for the class boat, but they may show up at a New Year's day race near you... ... triple trap and all. :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol:

Until the boys are sailing, my racing days are numbered. Even then, my time on the water will be developing them with the comming Hammond Family chase boat and fish killing machine.

Dan the next boat will probably be a new 16, not a Tiger. Did you see what happened to the dollar vs the Euro in the last few days?

Unless Barak can rescue the dollar, the Tiger may see expensive days ahead.