Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H20 Mentorship in Iowa
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently returned to the Hobie life after a few years on a 16 and a ten year break. I'm now having a blast on H20 #433 on Red Rock and Rathbun (I bought it from a sailor in Utah). I'm hoping to find a few experienced 20 sailors in Iowa who would be willing to spend some time with me on the water to help me inch up the learning curve.

I'm sure you're all wrapped up in South Dakota this week (I'm very jealous), but when you get back let me know if any of you would be willing to do some sailing. We could meet down here, I could bring my boat to you, or I could hop on another boat to see a proper setup.

I'd like to consider myself relatively proficient at getting out and having a blast, but as I hope to race in the future I'd like some help on main shaping, jib trim and setup, and line routing. Saturday I flew the spin for the first time, which was a blast, but without any experienced sailors to crew, I was juggling the tiller and spin sheet. I'm hoping to add a snuffer, more for ease of sailing with rookie crews than racing proficiency (obviously), but in the meantime I need to devise a way to clean up my jib and spinnaker systems, which are all over each other.

Please respond if you'd be willing to help out or email me at "bill d0t snellman at gmail d0t com"

Good luck in SD!

H20 #433
Southeast Iowa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ryan Richardson is an experienced Hobie sailor and sailing intructor and he lives in Knoxville. You can find his contact information at www.hobiecatdivision7.org Also, check out our Div 7 schedule. We've got 5 weekend events all within an hour or two of where you live. The closest being Storm Lake and Spirit Lake.
cw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the recommendation - I contacted Ryan and he's going to be out of town for a while and said he doesn't have much 20 experience, so I'm still looking for some help. Have fun in SD and let me know if anyone has a free day one of these weekends.

Hopefully I'll make it to a few Iowa races this summer. One thought on racing - I still have the original (1994) EP main. I can tell it's a little stretched, but still pretty sound. (See photo above.) Will it be competitive? I imagine it will be a little while before the sail is the weak link in my sailing, but I'd appreciate thoughts on sail life and competitiveness.

H20 #433
Southeast Iowa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bill,

Mylar doesn't stretch like dacron fabric does, the sail will start to "stretch" at the seams, there's your weak link. It depends on how much your sail has been used, not necessarily the year. Things like falling in to the sail or forgetting to release the downhaul while going downwind can shorten it's life.

The newer, flatter cut, sail will help you point higher, but will require new style battens as well.

I'd suggest learning to make the boat go as fast as possible with your existing sail and then gauge your results. We just finished the NAC's in the upper half of the fleet with a '98 EP "old school" main. I know that things like, picking the wrong side of the course, going in to irons at the start, fouling A mark, fouling another boat had MUCH MORE to do with our result than the cut of our sail.

Look forward to seeing you on the course with your "new to you" boat. :D