Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Through my emailing of the Tiger sailors we have 14 boats confirmed for the Classic this weekend.

Dave Dixon said that there are 15 confirmed Hobie 16A sailors and he is expecting to see 20 or more.

Dan DeLave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So where's the story? Who won.... inquiring minds want to know.

Good to see everyone yesterday - sorry we missed the races.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay Jacques you asked for it:

San Diego Classic

With 22 16As and 15 Tigers there were some great races to look forward to. Aside from those entrants I think there were about 12 others. That is about 50 boats showing up. Considering the scant number names called for thanks, and many called more than once for double duty, I think this regatta went okay. It would be nice to have the benefit of separate start and finish lines but there were just not enough volunteers to accomplish that. The catch-22 about this is that there were sailors on the course that were capable of picking up the slack, but then the registration numbers would be down that finance the regatta.

Conditions looked promising as we were driving over the Coronado Bridge. There was a slight haze or fog on the water and the sun was shining. This usually means that there will be warming inland allowing a strong breeze to kick in from the ocean. As we were setting up on Saturday a very light breeze was blowing from the wrong direction. It picked up a bit and was heading toward the prevailing wind as we made our way out to the course. We waited around a while for the wind to settle enough for the committee to set marks. When we got started the conditions were not bad for a three lap race until the third time to the weather mark. There was a low thick fog bank churning in like the dust off a desert freight train. Eileen asked whether I wanted to tack to avoid the bank allowing us to see for a while longer. I decided to sail into the fog first as everyone will eventually. I shared with her the plan to tack when we saw the shore. She was looking diligently, then finally said she saw it. I looked and did not believe her and told her that I could not. She insisted that she did and I waited. Finally the third time she said it I believed her and tacked. By the time we got to the weather mark it was far leeward of us. We could have cut much of the course distance if I was not over-standing every mark as if I needed extra altitude for a parachute to open. That pretty much set the tempo of our racing weekend.

Coming down to the finish was a matter “feelingâ€

Post subject: Scores
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Scores are now posted at http://www.hobiedivision2.com/Results/06Classic.xls