Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '07 Season
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

To serious hobie 16 sailors,

Division 2 can safely be labeled a light to medium wind division with due respect to most all venues. We enjoy great racing without many of the attendant misfortunes of sailng in big wind and seas, almost without exception. I've noted also that many of those I compete with in typical division 2 conditions are exceptional enough to be worthy of acclaim. You know who you are. However, things will change a bit as this season gets under way and into the future and I want to do my best to present the case for why. Everyone who was there remembers the conditions on Lake Mead in the '06 season, when we had two days of sustained winds at the start line of 17K winds and more at the weather mark. Lake Mead could be glass this year in contrast as one never knows on that venue. Nevertheless, Lake Mohave is an entirely different animal and that is the reason for this message. '07 is a Hobie 16 year in the west, what with the North Americans in Alameda and the Fiji Worlds, many are returning to the 16 to hone their existing skills. I've spent in excess of 30 days on Lake Mohave training for the coming season. 80% of those days have prevailed with 15 -25K winds either out of the north or south. Virtually no days have had winds less than 8knots at some time in the early afternoon. Many places on the lake mimmick what are purported to be the prevailing conditions in Fiji, which would be 15-25 knot winds in about 1-2' waves. I have left this in the Division 2 forum and no other on purpose to let you know this. If you want to prepare for Fiji, then maybe think about spending a week on the beach here, where camping is free, and practice your technique in conditions which will get you the experience to better your performance at the worlds. Let me know if you think you might take me up on this advice, and I will do what I can to roll the red carpet out for you. Still, plan to attend the late March regatta to get a taste of what this place has to offer, and come prepared for a challenge. As for me, it would not be an exaggeration to say that I've made more breakthroughs sailing a 16 since discovering 6 mile cove, than in the 5 years on Lake Mead that I've been in the sport. I would venture to say that Lake Mohave and 6 mile cove will change the face of Division 2 racing from this season forward. I'm already planning to hold training camps for youth and adult racers here in the years to come. Very few places in North America can compare for consistency and fairness of wind. Thanks, Gordo