Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For the dry dock, I need to hoist the Tiger off the trailer into the water with the mast up, bows down to protect the spreaders. You need to attach it to four points towards the corners. Has anyone done this? I'm worried that if I put the rope around the crossbars just inside the hull it will damage/ rip the tramp. I'm thinking I may need to go all the way around the hulls themselves.

I'd appreciate any ideas out there.

-Charles-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have used a crane to lift a number of different cats . In general you pick up from the center of the rear cross beam an at the outside corners on the front cross beam. I have lines aroung the cross bars on a number of boats and on a hobie miracle 20 used webbing to go around the hulls in the front to protect the tramp. I try to have the three lines end up with a pick point about 5 feet above the tramp. It is critical to add an additional line from the pick point to the mast to prevent the boat from pitch poling.I set the lifting point so the bow is about 1 or 2 feet lower than the stern to keep th mast away from the crane. As the boat is lowered into the water have the person on the dock pull the boat forward to keep the mast from wacking the crane as it levels out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MRL, this is very helpful. What do you mean about "It is critical to add an additional line from the pick point to the mast to prevent the boat from pitch poling." Does this line control or limit how far the bow goes down? If I use the same hoist, it should be pre-set so the bows are down 1-2 feet to keep the spreaders away from the hoist?

I'm going to keep an eye on the tramp to see if the lines are tearing or pulling the tramp. If so, I may need to go to the webbing around the hulls for the Tiger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SFHobie what I have done in the past is set the length of the 2 forward lines first, then adjust the rear line set how the boat flys for mast clearence to the crane. Then I set the length of the line from the pick point to the mast to prevent the boat from rotating further nose down if the boat decelerates . I have seen a tornado not have this line hooked up and flip while being lifted.
MRL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SF Hobie I feel like I have done a poor job explaining the purpose of the line from the lifting point to the mast. If you would like like E-mail me and I will send a phone number so we can talk.
MRL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Who is MRL and why have we not seen you at regattas when you are 5 minutes away from ABYC?

Charles I presume you have figured out a really good way to get the boat from trailer to water using the hoist?

When putting in a bunch of different cats at KHYC we used attachment points at the front crossbar corners then one middle attached to the mainsheet in the back. That way we could sheet the main in or out to get the proper attitude for the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's me Mike Myter's old crew. Deb and I still need to hook up with you and yours for dinner.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike! I did not recognize you as MRL, sorry. You still have to come to the club on Friday evenings for some Radio Controlled racing.

Also call me for an evening sail sometime.

Later,
Dan