Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi All,

Just wondering about some of the issues with going from a 16 to a Tiger, first and foremost being the fact that I mostly singlehand my 16. How long is the setup time from trailer to sailing once youre at the beach? Is it possible for a person (Im 6 foot 9, 230lbs and pretty fit) to right an 18 solo? Im betting that at the very least, a righting bag is needed and maybe a shroud detensioner but Im open to suggestions. Thanks all, any info is helpful,

Blair :lol:

I love these calm moments before the storm, it reminds me of Beethoven...

'02 Hobie Tiger USA 1152

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:26 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I've owned 16s for 36 years. I owned a Tiger for 4.

The Tiger's trailer to launch time is significant. 60 to 90 minutes - it's not a particularly good day sailer in that regard.

I found the Tiger easier to right than a 16. I never capsized solo, but on several occasions, when it was relatively windy, I was able to right it solo - with the crew positioned to get on the boat the instant it was upright. Once righted, the Tiger has a bad tendency to bear off and head downwind before you can get back on it. (This is because you can't really let the sheet out much on the self-tacking jib.) Getting back on the boat quickly is imperative - and it's not easy when you're being dragged along underneath the boat.

Shroud extenders can't be used. The Tiger likes a very tight rig. You'd never get the pin in/out on the shroud extender and I wouldn't trust a fast pin to support the rig anyway.

The Tiger is a great boat. It's way different than a 16 - in a lot of ways.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have only been on a 16 a few times so I can not say alot regarding the 16 to the tiger. In saying that I love the Tiger/F18 format, it is a great boat in about all wind conditions.

The Tiger can take some time to set up especially the first few times, but there are some tricks to shorting that time considerably, one is buying a traveling cover for the spinnaker that way you can leave it on the boat all the time. My wife and I are down to about 25 min from trailer to beach now if we really get after it, but we both have our things to do when setting up and taking the boat down and it works really well.

Another thing to do is get with some guy's that race Tigers/F18 and spend some time setting the boat up really well, this makes the boats a joy to sail and really cleans up the clutter of a stock boat. And spend a weekend if you can sailing our racing and running the front of the boat it will speed up your learning curve so much and really understand how to run the spinnaker and what your looking for in the boat going downwind.

As far as righting goes, I am 6'3 and 195 and could right the boat with no problem myself.

Hope that helps some.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

wow 6'9 your a beast :shock: :shock:

1971 H16 (sail #1768)

To all of you on the Hobie Forum... I love you guys!!!
thanks for all the help!