Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Question for Greg and Jacques:

Have you guys tried the STX main on the Tiger yet? If so, any ideas on mast pre-bend and spreader rake?

A couple of us Texas Tiger sailors got the new mains in time for the Great Texas catamaran race. It seems to give the boat an edge downwind (we didn't get much upwind time).

We are using our setting from the "old" square top at the moment: 1.5" rake and 1.5" prebend (about 900lbs on the diamond wire tension).

Just wondering if you'd heard any useful tips about the STX from the Europeans?

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I took the STX sail out for a test ride last weekend. My old main was really tired and I was going to have to buy a sail either way. I thought that the shape without changing anything on the diamond wires was pretty nice. I run 1.75 and 1.75 with 800lbs on the diamonds.

We are going to have a couple of the STX sailing together this weekend. Unforturnately we will not have the other sail to compare with. We will be sailing with a Nacra F18 in the mix though. I will call someone to see if I can muster up someone with an older cut to race with us. It is just a one day Yacht Club regatta, on Saturday, that does not bring out too many cat sailors.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We just put up our new STX main for the first time this weekend and we left all of the settings for the mast the same as with the ST sail; 1 3/4 spreader rake and 1 3/4 mast prebend. We didn't notice much difference as we were able to pace with our tuning partner about the same as before. Maybe with a little more time on the boat we'll make some adjustments but it seemed to work ok with the same settings.

FYI, about a month ago we asked Bundy the same question and he told us to keep our setting as is.