Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiger Outhaul
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My sheave for the new style boom (05) outhaul is binding. I think it may have salt or something in it.

What are the working loads on this sheave and can it be replaced with a bullet or big bullet through fitting?

Thanks,
-john

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it is just sand can't you just spray it with high pressure water then a spray of silicone? If you change the type of block you will be putting more holes in the boom.

Hard to say how much load is actually on it. Kind of depends on how hard you sheet and downhaul. With the new system there is more load from the sheet going to the leech of the sail directly but still think about the angle that the sheet is to the boom and that you pull in hard with 8 to 1 purchase. I think you could get away with one of the high strength Mini Turning Blocks but what would you be saving if you are drilling new holes?

You could just tie it off with a knot and not change it. We only adjust our's different for very very light winds, then probably just before the race.

Later,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The loads aren't excessive and the 16mm Harken hardware will work fine. We used it for an internal tack line on our spin pole and it's held up OK.

I loosen outhaul downwind with the chute to give around 8" draft at the boom. I'll leave it tight if I need to depower. I tie a figure 8 in the line that gets trapped by the turning block so it doensn't get let out too far...

Another cool outhaul tip for the Tiger: Add an eyestrap on the top of the boom toward the rear about a foot from the end. Tie a small spectra line from this to a small clip which you attach to the ring on the bottom corner of the main. This is your outhaul preventer - it prevents excessive outhaul on the main. Leave the outhaul loose and haul in tight on the mainsheet and downhaul. Then adjust the outhaul till it is snug and hook up the preventer line and adjust it till it is taught. Now when you ease the downhaul and main (light air) the outhaul will slacken just a fraction and give a modicum of shape to the base of the main.