Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New boom
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm thinking of changing my boom to the new slim one is there any considerations to be made?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

They bend/break easier when you land on them compred to the old rectangular design.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When you say bend easier do you mean under normall loads or just when you land on it. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't ever bent one, nor seen one bend under normal conditions but have tried to straighen a few bent ones where people have landed on them. It is possible to roll them straight but they are nowhere near as strong as before they were bent.

Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

New ones do not hurt as much if you happened to get hit by it. I would go with the newer one. You will have to put a strap or line through the back of the sail to be able to attach it to the boom. You do not use a shackle for this one.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan DeLave wrote:
New ones do not hurt as much if you happened to get hit by it. I would go with the newer one. You will have to put a strap or line through the back of the sail to be able to attach it to the boom. You do not use a shackle for this one.

Dan

I agree with Dan - the new boom is a lot safer by virtue of it's light weight and round profile. The main sheet loads in the vertical plane are not transmitted to the boom - it goes from a strap (or line) from the clew to the top of the main sheet system, passing on either side of the boom. There is a shackle connection from the end of the boom to the clew of the main - this is for the outhaul.

The boom is only seeing compressive loads from the outhaul and the horizontal vector of the main sheet. This is why the weight can be dropped so much.

There is one "trick" with the new boom - disconnecting it from the sail (e.g. when dropping the main). To get the loop/line over the back of the boom, lift the luff rope of the main out of the track below the slot where you get it started. This gives you enough slack in the foot of the main to get the loop over the end of the boom without standing on tip toes lifting the boom above your head, or having to disconnect the boom at the mast. One less ring ding to mess with when putting the boat to sleep for the night at a regatta.

Chris.

P.S. I will get the pictures of the STX vs. ST main taken one of these days...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Will the new boom take the load of the mast rotation, or will it have to the bottom of the mast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Will the new boom take the load of the mast rotation, or will it have to the bottom of the mast?

No changes to the rotation arm required.

Post subject: Tiger boom
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greg,

Do you know if Hobie Tiger class rules would allow moving the rotation arm lower?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Definitely within the F18 rules but the Hobie class rules I'm not sure. I don't think it would be a problem but I'd pose the question to the IHCA rules committee first. [email protected]

I'm pretty sure that the new boats for the past few years have been coming with a grommet in the trampoline towards the front center just so you can re-locate the rotation arm if so inclined and then run the rotation lines under the tramp then outboard.

My opinion on the rotater arm is that I prefer it to be above the boom in the current location, reason being, with the arm on the tramp all of the lines (jib sheet, spin sheet, downhaul, etc.) are more likely to get caught on the wrong side of the arm.

Post subject: moving rotater arm
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Greg.

Just got a reply back from the rules committee. Looks like it is Tiger class legal to move the rotation arm down near the tramp.